Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th July 2016, 22:22

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Rudolf "Rudi" A. Haunschmied - Me 262 production site book author - Is he still alive?

Dear All,

Rudi, along with 2 other authors, wrote the book St. Georgen - Gusen - Mauthausen: Concentration Camp Mauthausen Reconsidered. At St. Georgen and Gusen there was major production of the combined middle and rear fuselages to the Me 262. The facility at St. Georgen was codenamed Bergkristall and was perhaps the most well developed underground Me 262 production facility. Rudi and his co-authors made the explicit point that it was probably the worst Me 262 production facility in terms of its treatment of its forced laborers.

I have the book, some random ground level photos, aerial photos, and layouts that I wanted to piece together to make more understandable what the physical facility was really like. So, I contacted Rudi for his help, for which he was quite generous. We had corresponded prior to the book's publication.

It appears that Rudi lives in or near St. Georgen, Austria. I wrote to him back in May, but didn't get an answer, then tried again recently, with the same result.

So, my question is: Does anyone know if Rudi is still alive? Perhaps he has changed his e-mail address, which might explain the lack of a response. I'm now at a point where having his intimate knowledge of Bergkristall could be very helpful in painting the picture. Can anyone help?

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 16th July 2016 at 02:26.
Old 16th July 2016, 17:24

Re: Rudolf "Rudi" A. Haunschmied - Me 262 production site book author - Is he still alive?

Dear All,

Wikipedia says that Rudi was born in 1966 and lives in Traun, Austria. Thus, at roughly 50 years old, barring a heart attack or other event, Rudi should still be alive. Is there anyone who can look him up for me? I have International calling, so could give him a call to determine what his current e-mail address is. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me in reaching him.

Regards,
Richard
Old 16th July 2016, 17:35
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rudolf "Rudi" A. Haunschmied - Me 262 production site book author - Is he still alive?

According to the online Austrian telephone book, the only Haunschmied in Traun is called Elisabeth. In St. Martin/Traun, there is an Evelyn.

No results from a search for "Rudolf Haunschmied", nor when I tried Rudi as the given name.
Old 16th July 2016, 18:14

Vince Malfara is on a distinguished road

After looking on line for a while I came across the Gusen Memorial Committee website which lists that gentleman's contact info as shown below.
My hope is that it is helpful some how
Vince...

By ordinary mail:
GUSEN MEMORIAL COMMITTEE
Attn: Mr. Rudolf A. Haunschmied
Sperlhang 4
4222 St. Georgen an der Gusen
AUSTRIA
By fax: ++43 7237 3946 FAX
By e-mail: r.haunschmied@gusen.org
Old 16th July 2016, 19:13

Dear Nick and Vince,

Thanks for your valuable assistance. I think, in general, I tend to think if info appears on Wikipedia, that it is likely to be correct. Perhaps it claimed Traun incorrectly. There are some photos of Rudi on Google. He appears to be a somewhat portly individual - thus my comments about a possible heart attack, which is pure conjecture on my part. I have interacted with Rudi over the last years and he has always been very helpful.

Vince, I went to the website that you mentioned, but could not find any contact information, which was very frustrating. You had better luck and I will try the e-mail address that you found. I'll let everyone know if I've been able to reach him.

Thanks to you both for your help. That's what TOCH! is all about, researchers helping fellow researchers. This is a great example.

Regards,
Richard
Old 16th July 2016, 19:21

Vince Malfara is on a distinguished road

You are very welcome Richard, I try and help when ever possible and in my capabilities.

The website is http://www.gusen.org/about-us/
and I went to the "about us" and "contact us" and his contact info was there.

I am learning so much more by reading about that camp since your post. Thanks again.

Vince...
Old 16th July 2016, 21:54

Dear Vince,

I had gotten as far as the "about us" page, but never found a "contact us" link. So, I just now gambled by typing in "contact us" in the search box, and there was the information that you provided. If there is a "contact us" link on the "about us" page, I still haven't found it.

I'm glad that I've opened up a new subject for you.

Regards,
Richard
Old 17th July 2016, 18:12

Dear All,

Using the new e-mail address Vince found got Rudi to respond:

"Dear Richard,

everything is OK with our connection. I simply have had not sufficient time to answer. We had the international commemoration at Gusen in May, then we struggled with the Austrian parliament to properly consider the former Gusen complex in a new Austrian law, and currently I´m writing on a text for the memoirs of a Gusen II survivor. So, please give me two extra weeks to respond. I really regret for this inconvenience, but you know, I work as a mechanical engineer over the day and have to do all that additional work during the nights. I hope your health status is acceptable. You´ll read from me soon.

Best wishes
Rudi"

So, for the moment, I am pouring through Rudi's book. Much of the subject matter deals with the abominable treatment of KZ inmates. I will try to glean what I can about the actual production, but I think Rudi knows a lot more about the physical layout than appears in the book.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Richard