Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th April 2024, 17:51

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Gardening the Danube

For those interested in the topic, here is small example, an article in Eduard info magazine
https://info.eduard.com/en/04-2024-1...ing-the-danube

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 8th April 2024, 17:36
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Gardening the Danube

What a nice surprise! An excellent article about a little known undertaking during the war. My only complaint might be that the authors didn't include the Axis side of this story. That would require a great deal of multilingual research in the various archives and at least several years of hard work. Hopefully, someone with the skills, financial backing and time will eventually come along and tackle this.
[L. deZ]
Old 8th April 2024, 19:18

Larry,
all is in the book. Includes list of sunk ships, countermeasures of the Luftwaffe and Marine, as well as types of mines used, etc... get the book and you will have full info
regards and thanks

Peter

Old 8th April 2024, 19:34
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thanks for clearing that up, Peter. This website, as we all know, is mainly for Luftwaffe researchers and historians, so I'm sure they will all appreciate knowing your book covers it all, including the Nachtjäger units and the Flak units brought up to reinforce the defenses along the Danube. I remember reading many details in the microfilmed records of the Deutschen General in Serbien, Heeresgruppen E und F and in those of other German commands in the Balkans. The ULTRA material at the British National Archives has some interesting intercepts, too.

L. deZ.
Old 8th April 2024, 19:38

Nachtjägers are dealt only with relation to victims. As for Flak, it was not in my power to check all bateries located along the river banks...usually only 4-barelled batteries of middle and light Flak. It was researched more from the side of the 205 Group RAF...but for future addendum, if you have those mentioned materials in your hands, I would like to ask for share (link , signature or zipfile?) THANKS

Old 9th April 2024, 15:41
Alter Hase

Hello Peter -

Unfortunately, it was between 1979 and 1995 that I spent time researching WWII in the Balkans, using the German documents, some Italian documents, Allied intelligence reports, DEFE 3 ULTRA signals and a large amount of Yugoslav documents and published literature. My purpose had nothing to do with the mining of the Danube, so what I saw and read on this subject was only in passing and I did not segregate it and place it in a file. Accordingly, to get this material for you would necessitate going through everything again and that would take another 16 years! Since I am 86-years-old now, I don't think it would ever get finished!

Sorry,
L. deZ.
Old 9th April 2024, 16:04

thanks for clarification Larry...lets focus on some other things then still lot to research best regards

P.