Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 14th May 2018, 16:00

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Following the public availability, I had a "special project" to go along with: while talking to my primary source and friend Jorg Czypionka, the story of the night of March 27/28, 1945, was a reappearing topic that needed coverage. And while the book itself covers the night like any other night of combat, I wanted something "more personal".

The night is "special" in many cases - not because of the approx. 80 Mosquitos headed for Berlin - but for the fact that six Messerschmitt Me 262 were scrambled to intercept them. Amongst them - for the very first time - a Messerschmitt Me 262 B-1a/U1, the "Behelfsnachtjäger" [engl. interim Night Fighter].

Four of the Mosquitos were lost - two over the Netherlands, two more west of Berlin where they fell victim to two of the Me 262s. Jorg was one of the pilots downing a Mosquito and it was something that he had to chew on for many years to come. And even today, it bothers him - he looked at me and said "You know, I almost wanted them to see me so they could turn away into the night. The war was almost over - why shooting at two men? The Mosquito was a beautiful bird... but he did not see me and so I opened up."

He never liked the fact that he had to kill that night - so I wanted to find a way to tell his story - it is also the story of Fw. Karl-Heinz Becker (who shot down the second Mossie) and the crews that lost their lifes: F/LT André van Amsterdam (+) and S/LDR Harry Forbes (POW) in MM131, F/O Hudson (+) and F/O Gant (+) in RV326 and F/LT Value (+) and F/O Manning (+) in PF466. Unfortunately (again) in German, Jet&Prop 2/2018 will contain a 10-page article on the events of that night.

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)

Last edited by azapf1972; 14th May 2018 at 16:34.
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:36

Just to add for anyone who owns a copy of the book by now: there is a small errata document available on my website.You can either read it online or download a PDF at the end of the page.

Cheers,
Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:18

Time to go back to Speyer tomorrow, the International Aircraft Spare Parts Exchange is on. Sales are going well, I will be at the VDM Booth again, in case someone wants to touch base.

Besides the already published errata document, not much feedback (especially with respect to necessary corrections) has been received. But I got an interesting lead on one of the pilots of 10./NJG11 who's biographie so far is not very well covered (actually, I was approached by his son - a total surprise).

So in case anyone is in Speyer tomorrow: looking forward to seeing you!

Andreas

Old 8th December 2018, 21:41

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

just posted on 'FalkeEins- the Luftwaffe blog'

Andreas Zapf on Moskitojagd, Kurt Welter and Me 262 night fighters

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/1...h-andreas.html
Old 8th December 2018, 23:21

superbee is on a distinguished road

Is there going to be an English version??
Old 9th December 2018, 01:35

The answer to the question on the English version is in the linked blog post above...

Andreas

Old 9th December 2018, 10:30

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Neil & Andreas,

Thanks for posting the interview -- great questions and very informative answers!

Welter is a highly controversial figure, so the extra perspective you provided on him was interesting. I'll cut him some slack from now on because the regard in which he was held by his peers does count in his favor.

To Andreas: The quality of your publications and website follow in the fine tradition of your father's excellent work. (As an airfield junkie, I have all of his books.)

I bought a copy of your book as soon as it became available and was truly impressed by its detail and presentation. Your objectivity and thorough research are exemplary, and I look forward to your future efforts.

Best regards,
Leon Venter
Old 9th December 2018, 13:37

Dear Leon,

thank your very much for your most positive feedback and support. It is always good to hear an honest opinion, may it be positive or negative (because only then one can learn and improve).

I am happy that you found the information interesting and useful - with the book in your hands, you know almost all I do about Kurt Welter. The most impressive find was his photo that I published as a full-pager... you can only imagine how much the times have changed the man when you compare the "young" Welter to the "battle-weary" Welter...

Yours truely,
Andreas