Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th August 2015, 14:56

Jeantiloup77 is on a distinguished road
Vitry le François bombing June 1944

Thanks to your help and with extensive research in Kew, the destruction of the town by The RAF during the night of the 27-28 June 44 has been explained and the result has been returned to the inhabitants during the 70th anniversary celebration.
There is a side issue that I would like to solve but does not know how to start searching.
During the evening of the 27 of June, the railway station has been attacked at low altitude by 6 fighter bombers. From ground witnesses, the allied bombers were of white color and were not of double boom type (ie were presumably P51D's). There has been a dog fight over the town at low altitude with something like 3 german fighters (presumably coming from the close St Dizier airbase) and no airplane shot down were reported.
On the internet there is an excerpt of an AMR of the 20th FG mission #117: "The 20th FG was dispatched to attack rail and highway transportation between Vitry and Paris".
It is generally reported that the 20th FG exchanged his P38's for P51's on the 22nd of July, but may be some squadrons made their change earlier than that.
My questions are :
1 - how can I access to the American AMR without travelling overseas.
2 - how can I acces to the Luftwaffe archives.
3 - Does anybody has access to the complete AMR #117 of the 20th FG.
4 - Does anybody has contradictory information about the renewal of the aircraft fleet of the 20th

Again I thank the members for their passsed useful help and I am confident that further mysteries will be explained through this thread.