Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd January 2007, 13:46

Andrey Dikov
Question Letter 'B' in dr. Prien's claims lists

I wonder what the letter 'B' in Johen Prien's claims lists means exactly? That one in the end of each record. Sometimes there's no 'B', just a vacant position.

I've overlooked my volumes and found no explanation and it seems this letter wasn't used by Prien in previous unit histories (I've checked JG 77 and JG 3).

Could anybody explain, please?

Andrey
Old 22nd January 2007, 15:41
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ?Letter 'B' in dr. Prien's claims lists

B = bestaetigt.
These claims, marked with B, were officially confirmed by Abschusskommission (or RLM?).

Robert
Old 22nd January 2007, 17:14

Andrey Dikov

Are you sure? But there are too many records without 'B', i.e. it's hardly believeable all those claims weren't confirmed.

Andrey
Old 22nd January 2007, 18:01
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I do.
It depends which period you mean. E.g. the claims made during polish camapign have many B`s.

Regards

Robert
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:02

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

the letter "B" in column 9 of the claims lists denotes that there is documentary proof that the claim in question was officially confirmed as was explained in Vol. 1, p. 83. For the rest of the claims so far no official document has been found which does not automatically mean that they were not confirmed - in many cases it just means that the neccessary proof is lacking in the incomplete documents that were left behind by the RLM. There is also a subsantial proportion of claims that were still pending an official assessment or decision respectively when in early 1945 the confirmation apparently came to a stand still owing to the development of the war situation; the known RLM documents peter out in January / February 1945. At this time a surprisingly high proportion of claims dating back from 1942 and 43 were still awaiting their confirmation, slumbering in the files with the respective remarks such as "A.S.M." or "V.N.E." which in both cases meant that the final assessment was postponed - until which point still remains a matter of conjecture.

The lack of a "B" in column 9 does not mean, that the claim was officially rejected; in those cases, where it is proven by documents that a claim was rejected, there appears a "n.b." for nicht bestätigt or not confirmed.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 24th January 2007, 10:08

Andrey Dikov

>the letter "B" in column 9 of the claims lists denotes that there is documentary proof that the claim in question was officially confirmed

Thank you for clarification!

> as was explained in Vol. 1, p. 83.

Unfortunately, I don't have this volume, as far as I'm interested in Ostfront volumes and have no ability to collect all the series.

>Hope this helps

Yes, it does, thank you!

Andrey