Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th July 2014, 13:29

Colin Osborne is on a distinguished road
Auster AOP 3 Radio installation

Hello
I am trying to find pictures or drawings of the installation of wireless set no 19 in Auster AOP 3s. From reading and studying pictures I can see that the radio was fitted behind the 2 man crew and possibly behind the right seat facing left. Any help would be great thanks.
Also I have a profile of an Auster AOP 3 seen in Normandy just after D-Day wearing full invasion stripes. Can anyone please provide any further information of this or similarly striped AOP 3 s.

Thank you.

Colin
Old 18th July 2014, 11:09

Re: Auster AOP 3 Radio installation

Apparently the profile above was published in Scale Aircraft Modelling Magazine, Vol.21, No.5, July 1999. If anyone has this magazine could you please check if any further mention or pictures of this aircraft were printed. Thank you

Colin
Old 10th September 2014, 22:30

Re: Auster AOP 3 Radio installation

As an update here are some pictures of my Auster AOP Mk3 at a local airfield.The markings are that of NX536 of 659 AOP Squadron shortly after D-Day. I have recently made contact with a veteran Army Auster pilot who actually flew Mk3s and he confirms the Wireless set No19 was on a shelf behind the passenger seat unlike later Austers which had the radio on the passenger seat. Its a shame there is so little information available on these little aircraft and their crews having performed such a dangerous and vital job.

Colin