Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th September 2017, 21:22

19JDKR45 is on a distinguished road
The Luftwaffe on the West Front - Early April 1945

I am researching aspects of the Luftwaffe on the West front during the first week of April 1945 and would be grateful for some help. This is not an easy period as the Luftwaffe was changing on a near daily basis; perhaps this is why most sources gloss over the period. Attached is a slide showing what I think was the orbat. For context it shows the luftflotten that were still in existence and below them the commands that I believe were operational on the West front.

My main question concerns IX.Fliegerkorps (Jagd). As I understand it, by early April 45 its jagd-divisionen (1., 2., and 3.) were no longer in existence and that it only commanded a number of gruppen (e.g., I./7 and III./JG 301), all on their last legs. My source for this is Caldwell's 'Day Fighters in Defence of the Reich'. Delighted to be corrected!

My thanks in advance.

John
Old 27th September 2017, 09:47

SES
Re: The Luftwaffe on the West Front - Early April 1945

Hi,
This is my perception based on German KTBs and ORBATS:
http://www.gyges.dk/Luftwaffe%20orga...olapse%202.pdf
slide 5.
bregds
SES
Old 27th September 2017, 12:39

19JDKR45 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks SES. Excellent slides and it seems as if I'm not too far off the mark. One question...

Does '(n)' on Slide 5 stand for 'nacht'? If so, that computes for 2.JD, which I believe was entirely night-fighters. But what about 1.JD, which Caldwell states contained day fighters, in particular the remaining Me 262.

Fully appreciate that it is not easy trying to apply logic/order to what was a collapsing organisation and it could be that the night-fighting 1.JD also controlled the remaining day fighters as there was no other air formation that could do so!

best

John
Old 27th September 2017, 15:16

SES

Hi,
No quite so. 2 JD had night-fighters only, the day-fighters were distributed among all the other organizations.
I cannot uploade the relevant file here so please send your e-mail address in a PM.
bregds
SES