Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th April 2005, 10:39

brewerjerry
Re: Photos + 4-25-05

Hi,
What markings are on these 109's ?
the roundels and tail stripes look like french, but they wouldn't have three 109's, is it spanish ?
or luftwaffe training war games ?
Cheers
Jerry

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting
Old 26th April 2005, 14:13

Modeldad will become famous soon enough

The 109s with the roundel look like Rumanian markings after they went over to the Allies. The Michael Cross painted out and roundel put in place. But they are D models. I didn't realize Rumania had the D.
Old 26th April 2005, 15:15

Primoz

I think Modeldad is right. Those Bf 109Ds really look Rumanian (unless they are some German "movie stars" carrying fake French or British markings, of course). Obviously, a previous national marking (Michael cross, Balkenkreuz?) was overpainted. On the other hand, the area where you'd expect the swastika to be doesn't show any signs of overpainting. So I guess Modeldad's Rumanian hypothesis seems to be correct.

Last but not least I'd like to say I really like that Bf 110 D of Stab/KG51 (9K+CA). I hope some decal manufacturer sees those three pix.
Does anyone know the colors of the top part of the emblem? (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=6173649940)
Old 26th April 2005, 21:46
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Those Doras are not Rumanian (the ARR did not have a single Bf 109D). Most likely, they are German, painted as French fighters for a war movie, or PK shot.
The seller - a well know German aviation photo collector and historian - probably knows what he is talking about...

BTW, several photos from the same series were already published in the German Flugzeug magazine (or was it Jet & Prop?).
Old 27th April 2005, 14:30

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

This picture and other were published in Jet & Prop January/February 2000, p.14 - 16. On the a/c in the middle you can read the designation DE + GA (the "D" not for sure). In the article was speculated that the a/c's were used for an movie but without clear result or proof.

Best wishes
Rasmussen