Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 10th May 2011, 06:09

kglass is on a distinguished road
Japanese Army fighters concentrated at Tianjin, China 7-8/1937 & 1st Daitai victory claims

Can anyone cite data and references telling the history of the Japanese Army Air Force basing of their forces at Tianjin, China in July through August, 1937? I have read that all 70 of the Ki.10 fighters committed to the then new conflict were concentrated there at the time.

The 1st Daitai was the first unit to arrive at Tianjin on July 12, 1937. More units arrived after it was used to secure for the Japanese Army possession of the Tianjin airfield from Chinese counter attacks. This unit was also the first to make aerial victory claims, on September 19, 1937, but by October had been withdrawn from combat service in China, after only three months at the front. It did not return to combat until September, 1939 at Nomonhan, and was by then known as the 33rd Sentai. I have seen photos of the unit's Ki.10s carrying the 33rd Sentai marking, but none showing the unit's prior markings it would have had while known as the 1st Daitai. This unit was itself drawn up from the 16th Rentai based in Korea in early July, 1937. Because of this I believe the markings used by the 1st Daitai in China were the same as were used by the 16th Rentai. Are there any photos of 16th Rentai and 1st Daitai Ki.10s to confirm this?

Ltn. Yoshio Hirose made those first aerial victory claims and went on to a long and distinguished career as a fighter pilot. But there is only a single photo of him published in the Hata, Izawa and Shores book: "Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and Their Aces 1931-1945", c.2002, Grub Street Books. Other references I have to hand are Januszewski and Szeremeta: "Kawasaki Ki 10 Perry", c.2007, by TENZAN Pubs. and 'Aero Album' Volume 9, Spring, 1970: "64th Flying Sentai", by Izawa that was later re-published in Challenge Pubs. 'Air Classics' magazine in about 1971 over three issues.

Has anyone seen any photos showing Ltn. Hirose and or any 1st Daitai Ki.10s made at or near the time of those first IJAAF aerial victory claims in 9/1937?

Regards,
Ken Glass
Old 10th May 2011, 14:40
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese Army fighters concentrated at Tianjin, China 7-8/1937 & 1st Daitai victory claims

Hi Ken,

Remember me from j-aircraft dot com about 7 or 8 years ago?

If you don't get any hits here on your questions, try this:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=65

This sub-forum is very active and has at least three Japanese historians who are fluent in both languages and live in Japan. I have always been impressed with the detailed replies they are able to come up with using obscure Japanese language sources. It's worth a try.

Best,

Larry
Old 10th May 2011, 19:55

kglass is on a distinguished road
Re: URL to Axis History Forum website

Hello Larry,

Yes, I remember you, and it has been a while since we last corresponded. While checking out your suggestion this AM, I came across a photo of a Ki.3 that most likely belonged to the 16th Rentai. Thank you very much for the URL to the Axis History Forum website.

Regards,
Ken Glass
Old 10th May 2011, 20:17
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese Army fighters concentrated at Tianjin, China 7-8/1937 & 1st Daitai victory claims

Great photo, Ken. It seems to be one of the old so-called "postcard" type photos because of the brownish tinge ( http://www.ajmorris.com/roots/photo/pic3.php ).

Great to run into you again and I sure hope you get the information you are after!

Very best,

Larry