Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th April 2016, 11:57

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: eBAy: Captured german planes

As David stated, the war was over, the need to collect every scrap of information had gone as they saw it. This is very evident in the various types of captured aircraft reports one sees. In the earlier stages of the war, full details were recorded, however, with the end of the war, often all that was recorded of finds on airfields were the numbers of a type, i.e. 25 x Bf 109. They weren't working with our later needs in mind!
Old 12th April 2016, 12:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Coates View Post
As David stated, the war was over, the need to collect every scrap of information had gone as they saw it. This is very evident in the various types of captured aircraft reports one sees. In the earlier stages of the war, full details were recorded, however, with the end of the war, often all that was recorded of finds on airfields were the numbers of a type, i.e. 25 x Bf 109. They weren't working with our later needs in mind!
Indeed. When I started out on research, I found a note in the files of an RAF Disarmament Wing saying that it was quickly decided that Bf 109s and Fw 190s were of no interest. On the other hand, Werk Nummern of Ju 52s were recorded because everyone wanted some of these useful transport aircraft and they had to be shared out.
Old 12th April 2016, 12:54
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Steve/Nick

I have full sympathy for those trying to gather information. While it is understandable that yesterdays technology was less interesting, the Me 262 sort of represented tomorrows technology and should more or less automatically have been much more interesting.

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th April 2016, 15:39

canonne is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Some years ago, a fomrer American mechanic kindly sent me the copy of one of his photos he took in April 1945 in the airdrome of Kassel (Germany) It seems Air base "R-12".
Who could relates me more about this Bf 109 ?
Thank you !
Phil.

Last edited by canonne; 14th November 2016 at 22:15.
Old 13th April 2016, 11:23
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Hi there Phil,

This is Erla built Bf 109 G-14 W.Nr. 46. ... "Gelbe 12", 3./NAGr ?, Kassel-Rothwesten, May 1945. This machine stems with high probability from a yet to be identified NAGr. unit, as indicated by the small white triangle on the top of its tail. You will find here seven other pics of this machine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2809206...57631640854399

Cheers
Marc
Old 15th April 2016, 10:20

canonne is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much indeed Marc ! Very interesting !