Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 15th July 2006, 21:06

Ferreira
P-47N "2 Big and too Heavy/Short Shorter", 333rd FS/318st FG

Hi,

Which the name and rank of the pilot (or pilots) of P-47N "2 Big and too Heavy/Short Shorter" (488043) "21", of 333rd FS/318st FG, in Ie Shima, 1945?

Thank's a lot!

Franklin

from Brazil
Old 15th July 2006, 21:07

Ferreira
Re: P-74N "2 Big and too Heavy/Short Shorter", 333rd FS/318st FG

http://www.web-birds.com/7th/318/318th.htm

Old 15th July 2006, 23:57

kurlannaiskos
Re: P-74N "2 Big and too Heavy/Short Shorter", 333rd FS/318st FG

thank you for posting the link to that very interesting website.
Old 16th July 2006, 23:46

fsbofk is on a distinguished road
Re: P-47N "2 Big and too Heavy/Short Shorter", 333rd FS/318st FG

"Warpaint Special No. 1" about the P-47 has a color profile of this aircraft, and notes that the pilots were Lt. Wayne Duerschmidt, and later Lt. John D. K. Bruner.
Old 17th July 2006, 20:34

Ferreira

Thank's!

Old 15th June 2009, 00:50

wduerschmidt is on a distinguished road

I was researching my fathers WW ll records and came across this site. Lt. Wayne Duerschmidt was the pilot of the P-47N aircraft 2 Big and Too Heavy. I would like to hear from anyone who knew him or has information on him. I would also like to contact anyone interested in the photo of the above aircraft.
Old 15th June 2009, 05:13
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

W Duerschmidt,

Wayne A Duerschmidt is credited with two victories, a Zeke on Feb 10, 1945 while flying a P-38L, N of Iwo Jima; and a George on June 6, 1945, while flying a P-47N, over Kanoya. Do you have any information on the serial numbers of the P-38L and P-47N that he was flying on those two days? Most likely 44-88043 on the latter date, but I do not want to assume that he was flying his assigned aircraft. And can you tell me his middle name, so I can add that to my files?

I also suspect that the second name of the P-47N is not "Short Shorter" but rather "Short Snorter", referring to an early version of the current "challenge coin".

Frank.
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:26

Thanks for the reply. I have no information on the serial number of the P-38L he flew while on Saipan, however I do have a photo of him in front of a lightning on Saipan, but no number is visible. I am guessing that photo was taken shortly after his first victory near Iwo Jima. The same for the P-47N he flew from Ie Shima. I have the same serial number for that plane as you have below, but do not know if he was actually flying it that day. He flew a P-47D while on Saipan also, before the P-38's arrived. Its serial number was 43-25432. His full name was Wayne Alden Duerschmidt, s/n 0 807 269. There are several photos of him on the 318th website if you are interested. The website was set up by the son of a 333rd veteran and has much useful information. The book, "The Pineapple Airforce" is a very good read on events of those days. My favorite anecdote was about the famous "cow" incident on Saipan. According to the sons father, who knew my Dad, Wayne was the "trigger man" for that cow incident. Hope this helps. Later.
Old 16th August 2009, 21:43

F. Olynyk,

I hope the information on my father in the previous message was helpful. You mentioned that "Short Snorter" was probably the correct second name on the P-47N and not "Short Shorter" as stated in previous messages to this site. Warpaint Special has it listed as "Short Snorter" also. You mentioned that this was probably because it was a early version of the "Challenge Coin". Do you know where I might get some information on that reference to the Challenge Coin. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2009, 22:22

F.Olynyk,

Another item on 2 Big and Too Heavy. That name probably originated because of the condition of the airfield on Ie Shima. For the weight of the aircraft and stores a 5,800 foot dry strip was needed, but the wet, sticky strip they got was only 3,700 feet long. That, combined with the engine problems on take-off that were common in the early months there contributed to many a crash on take off. One of those crashes is shown on page 111 of The Pineapple Air Force. Also, I located two pnotos of the P-47N my Dad flew on page 112 of The Pineapple Air force. These are actual photos taken on Ie Shime and one shows the right side of the plane with "Short Snorter" clearly visible. The other photo shows the left side nose art and mentiones 2 Big and Too Heavy as an apt description for all P-47N's.