Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th July 2018, 20:37
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Latest from Michael Balss.

Mr. EdWest2 wrote in part:
Quote:
I view Luftwaffe history as a very large puzzle that can be solved.
Not quite sure what this means. The history of the Luftwaffe is a function of: (1) the documents that survived the war, (2) Allied intelligence collections (ULTRA, P/W interrogations, aerial reconnaissance, etc.), (3) along with oral and written testimonials from veterans and the published literature. The final missing pieces from Item (1) are currently appearing online courtesy of the ww11GermanDocsInRussia.org project, (2) has been fully exploited by many of the researchers and historians who appear here on TOCH, and it is now too late for (3) as most of these veterans are now gone.

So, have I missed something? I'm guessing you are referring to the missing 1944 Gen.Qu.(6.Abt.)/Genst.d.Lw. Verlustmeldungen? Some of our members have pretty well reconstructed these using the summarische Verlustmeldungen at BAMA together with the namentliche Verlustmeldungen for 1944, copies of which some here have.

I don't think there are any important Luftwaffe document collections that remain undiscovered, but I would be delighted to hear about them if there are.

L.
Old 13th July 2018, 11:35

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road

Actually, I am in touch with him... and I also ordered a copy his Volume 2. The amazon Preview in this case is "spot on" because no matter how many pages the book has: the structure is always the same as for those that can be previewed. Also check the "Description of format" page that tells you what to expect about the sources.

As for the quality of the data: I have double-checked a few of the entries - they are corresponding to the (hardly readable) GQM Loss Lists of the time. Some are also amended with additional information (although the book does not reference the actual source).

I have also seen Michael's source data (that is: I was allowed a look into his database). Taking 1944 as an example (where no GQM Losses exist): he has roughly 39.000 losses for that year recorded. I would expect these to make it "to the books". Sources are a variety of publications so there might be a good number of errors in there, assuming the original author has made a mistake or published "Mist" (German: rubbish). But the overall compilation that Michael has delivered is (to my knowledge) unique.

On the price: Michael is publishing via amazon (they print and ship) which means that he only gets a fraction of the price. The majority comes from the printing and the fact that the books are rather "thick" (Example: Volume 28 has 334 pages) - at the end of the day, this will be expensive but on the other hand, there is a lot of information (if I recall correctly, January 1944 is roughly 2.400 losses or so).

But be aware: these are data listings. Not more (no stories around the losses) but not less...

Cheers, Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 13th July 2018, 12:13

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Took me time to remember but, a year ago Michael Balss was selling his 120876-losses database for $65 (PDF on a DVD - Matti Salomen on this board have a comparable database). To be compared to the about 2000€ that this book serie will cost !
Old 13th July 2018, 12:13
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks for a very helpful update Andreas

Does the losses include "Schulen" as well?
When it comes to claims, do we only get the fighter pilots view or are also gunner's claims included?

It is a bit unfortunate (in my opinion) he continues to use the same presentation style as in his night fighter books, since it creates a lot of unused space, and that much more volumes.

By simply undertaking a project, which now seems to involve perhaps up to 40 volumes in all, is a huge task. I don't know Michael's age, but I would say 60+ rather than 60- (unless he started collecting data already in his teens)

The project must by necessity stretch over many years and if the financial gain is so small, other incentives must hopefully then prevail.

I wish Michael every luck with this mammoth task. I will buy the first three volumes and compare them with what I now have ( I have bought and been given some of the loss records)

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th July 2018, 14:20

chinesefox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post
Took me time to remember but, a year ago Michael Balss was selling his 120876-losses database for $65 (PDF on a DVD - Matti Salomen on this board have a comparable database). To be compared to the about 2000€ that this book serie will cost !

----I think the content within those pdf file are written in German.

the stuff(vol 1 ,2,28) he sales on Amazon this year are written in English(or translated into English)

Am I wrong?
Old 13th July 2018, 14:39

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the descriptions are given in English. There is not much text but you would not have to deal with German.

Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 13th July 2018, 18:02
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I just looked at details of part of losses suffered on 1.9.39 over Poland - the quality of research is disappointing.

Regards

Robert
Old 13th July 2018, 18:12
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I work in book publishing. The Amazon owned company pays a royalty that is just below half the price of the book. Similar to the 50% from a wholesale book distributor. A large press run is not required.

Ed

Last edited by edwest2; 13th July 2018 at 21:21.
Old 14th July 2018, 19:23
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Hi,

I just looked at details of part of losses suffered on 1.9.39 over Poland - the quality of research is disappointing.

Regards

Robert
In what way Robert?

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th July 2018, 20:17
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

typos, lack of airmen names, wrong village names etc.

Regards

Robert