Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th April 2010, 02:31

BlenheimBuff is on a distinguished road
Sgt G Hawkins - 18 Sqn RAF

Hello,

Does anyone have any information regarding the DFM awarded to this airman? The award was mentioned in 'Flight' magazine published March 21st 1940, together with several other non-commissioned aircrew who also received the same decoration. The 'Flight' article mentions several actions in that appear to have taken place during the previous 6 months, but does not specifically state which action relates to which award.

George Hawkins was a W-Op/Air Gunner in 18 Sqn, who were operating Blenheims at the time, and would have been an L.A/C at the time of the award. 18 Sqn were part of the air component of the BEF, they were based at Meharicourt before being withdrawn back to Watton in May of 1940 (during which their Squadron records were lost in the general mayhem).

Any information on George Hawkins's award, or general information about 18 Sqn's activities between September 1939 and the end of May 1940 would be of great interest.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:49

Icare9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sgt G Hawkins - 18 Sqn RAF

There was a Sgt Gordon Hawkins of 107 Sqdn shot down 10/7/1940 and killed 19/4/45 when the PoW column was strafed by Mustangs....
Also an EDWARD George Hawkins killed 2/5/44 on board Stirling EF259 of 218 Sqdn.
Hopefully your chap survived.
Old 9th April 2010, 21:10

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately Sgt George Hawkins was K.I.A. in May 1940, his DFM would have been awarded for actions between September 1939 and February 1940.

Regards,

Ian
Old 10th April 2010, 00:16
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

This is the entry for him in the CWGC - though there is nothing from 1939-40 for his award in the London Gazette

HAWKINS , GEORGE Sergeant, RAF

Number - 510166
K.I.A. - 21/05/1940
Age 30
Commemorated - Panel 15.RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Last edited by Larry; 10th April 2010 at 00:52.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:29

If it helps, this appears to be the rest of his crew:-
Name: CRAIG, ARTHUR ERNEST
Initials: A E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 18 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 21/05/1940
Service No: 358376
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 13.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Edit: Have looked up the initial Flight pages for the award of his DFM:
Sgt William Joseph Cronin, Sgt Frank Miller, Sergeant Alexander Cameron Thomas, Sgt David Pennington, Leading A/C George Hawkins and L A/C Sidney Culver..... "during a 25 minute engagement over North Sea between 9 Blenheims and 5 Me110's on 19th January 1940....."

From what I can find, it would appear that it was No 110 Squadron that had the encounter with the Me110's losing 4 crew that day....
so, whilst I can't find any record of what he was awarded a DFM, I hope I have ruled out 10th January engagement from the search....
Now found the Casualty report in Flight http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%201735.html which shows him as Sgt GDFM Hawkins - including his DFM as initials!! His pilot, C Light also appears, so I think it's him....

Name: LIGHT, CYRIL
Initials: C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 18 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 21/05/1940
Service No: 33479
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. George Joseph Light; husband of Lilia Rose Light, of Fulham, London.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Last edited by Icare9; 10th April 2010 at 13:45.
Old 10th April 2010, 17:06

Thanks for your efforts guys,

I think that the information on this DFM is going to take some further 'digging' on my part. I'd hoped that there might be someone on the forum who'd already done some research on Sgt Hawkins, but it looks like I'm out of luck!

Thanks again,

Ian
Old 10th April 2010, 20:12

M sIMPSON is on a distinguished road

Good evening Ian
It would appear that George Hawkins' DFM was awarded partly for his actions during a reconnaissance flight over central Germany on 31 October 1939 and partly for two and a half years outstanding service on 18 Squadron.
Hawkins was WOP/AG on Blenheim I L1430 with pilot Sgt.E E B LeVoi and observer Sgt.G W Buchner which undertook a reconnaissance flight over Germany on 31/10/39 under very poor weather conditions and at low altitude.Hawkins was
instrumental in the success of the flight and the safe return of the aircraft.
Hawkins was killed on 21/5/40 in Blenheim IV L9325 along with pilot P/O C Light and observer Sgt.A E Craig during a reconnaissance of the Douai-Arras-Amiens-Abbeville area.For more information,see Franks 'Valiant Wings',Warner 'The Bristol Blenheim,The Complete History' (which states L9235 was shot down in error by an unidentified Hurricane),and Peter Cornwell 'The Battle of France Then and Now'.
Hope this helps,
Regards,Mark.
Old 11th April 2010, 02:07

Mark,

Thanks very much for this info, it is just what I was hoping for!

Regards,

Ian
Old 11th April 2010, 18:55

Which brings you back to your original Flight reference....
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200867.html
Old 11th April 2010, 23:38

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, the question posed was which particular action related to the award, as this is not made clear in the 'Flight' announcement. Mark was able to fill in this information, presumably by referring to the texts quoted in his reply.

Thanks to all concerned for their efforts on this question.

Regards,

Ian