Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 6th July 2018, 01:58

25Kingman49 is on a distinguished road
Re: Major William Horrigan USAAF Java PoW 1942

Rolland, great followup!
The bay off Semarang makes sense reading further with the Wright description of walking to Kendal.

This whole evasion and escape mission is so sad with the plane crash landing half way back to Bandung. Little wonder why Wright describes the Horrigan reaction after the beach landing, having tears in his eyes over this failed escape attempt; So close yet so far...

I guess what is truly amazing is that so many aboard this plane survived the war in various Japanese POW camps to tell their stories after the war.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."- referenced - J. Robert Oppenheimer
Old 6th July 2018, 14:49
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Scott and Rolland

What can I say? Great research, really well done!

I've yet to study John Wright's account, and am confused by the 'gaps' in the transcript.

I'm not very bright - anyone able to advise?

I'm only really interested in the B-18 saga.

Cheers
Brian
Old 6th July 2018, 15:05
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

Brian, I am not sure what you mean by gaps in the transcript. Can you explain?

As far as the B-18 goes, it seems to me that the B-18 used was 36-434 which had been in fact written off in February, but was repaired enough to make the flight in March. The two ill RAF men on the flight were Val Morehouse first mentioned in post #7 and "John" Wright (aka Frank Wright) as was also mentioned in post #7. John Wright gives quite a detailed account of the B-18 flight and crash in his account. The plane was actually taxied into the sea by Horrigan after the landing on the beach. We don't seem to have yet identified any of the AAF NCOs on the fight and whether or not they survived captivity.

It might be interesting to try and contact Val's son Duncan Morehouse (See link in post #7) and see if he has any more info. I will try to do that.

UPDATE: Duncan is going to check his sources and will comment in a few days. (Frank Wright was Frank John Wright.)

Last edited by RSwank; 6th July 2018 at 18:29.
Old 6th July 2018, 23:11

25Kingman49 is on a distinguished road

Brian and Rolland,

It seems this thread is coming to a close with most of Brian's initial query answered although second hand not coming from an account directly from Horrigan. Still hoping his account will turn up as Horrigan had an extended USAF career not retiring until 31 May 1959.

Perhaps not necessary at this late point in this thread but found a little more background for Horrigan related to his command service in the PI. It is highly likely he held other below command positions earlier in his PI deployment.

1 June 1940 - 1 Sept 1940, CO; 20th Air Base Squadron, Nichols Field, PI

29 Aug 1941 - 31 Oct 1941, CO; 3rd Pursuit Squadron, Iba Airfield, PI

Source: https://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/ca...rofbattle3.pdf

1941? CO; 28th BS, 19th BG, difficult to determine location with this source perhaps; Batchelor, Australia or Singosari, Java.

Source:
http://ww35.usafunithistory.com/PDF/...0BOMB%20SQ.pdf

It seems Major Horrigan was last assigned as USAAF liaison officer to the Dutch Java Air Command in Bandung during Jan-Feb 42, according to Peter Boer in this link provided earlier by Rolland in post #7.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theo...ava-t1615.html

Still writing a bio for the Horrigan findagrave page/memorial, placed under my maintenance without request. It will likely not be brief.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."- referenced - J. Robert Oppenheimer