Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd February 2012, 18:01

jjp_nl is on a distinguished road
Bf-109E Staffelkapitän 5./JG27 - Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank - 2nd August 1940?

Fellow aviation enthousiast,

Let me start out by stating that I've posted this message also on ww2aircraft.net. I have however been referred to 12oclockhigh as being a more proper place to try for this type of question.

I’m trying to look up details on the Bf-109E flown by Staffelkapitän 5./JG27 Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank (markings/werk.nr etc.) It crashed a mile or so from where I live on the 2nd of August 1940 (shortly before the Staffel headed for France to play their part in the BoB).

What I've been able to gather sofar is that he set out to chase down some Hampdens or Blenheims (I have conflicting references on that part of the story nor do I know wether it was a single British a/c or more then one) that were showing up over Leeuwarden AFB, maybe for recce or pinprick attacks on the AFB as it was being extended and build up by the Germans into a base that would be better suited to accommodate luftwaffe units.

Apparently one of the British gunners got lucky and most likely mortally wounded or instantly killed Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank. His a/c went into a dive and smashed into the ground near Jelsum, NL (a small village very close to Leeuwarden AFB) Myth is he even took the Staffels mascotte with him (a dog?) although that part is most likely fiction. I've been able to establish that at the time of his death Ankum-Frank had three confirmed victories.

The references I have on JG27 do indeed in one or two sentences more or less confirm that indeed 5./JG27 indeed lost their Staffelkapitän Von Ankum-Frank that day, and even include a pic of what is said to be the burned up wreckage of Von Ankum-Franks Bf-109E. But no further details on his a/c or the events of the day that led to him being killed.

Do any operational/loss records exist on this event that might shine some light on Ankum-Franks Bf-109E and the events surrounding his death? Such as subtype (E1/E3/E4) Markings, Werke.Nr. Perhaps also personal details on Von Ankum-Frank himsels. But also details on the mission itself. Was the man perhaps part of a Rotte or even Schwarm that set out to take on the bombers or was he on his own.

I hope somebody is able to help out with filling in some of the blanks. Many thanks in advance

Jelmer
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:35
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Bf-109E Staffelkapitän 5./JG27 - Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank - 2nd August 1940?

Hello Jelmer,

Our entry in the EoE Luft Loss DB gives answers to some of your questions:

"August 2, 1940: 5./JG27 Messerschmitt Bf109E-4. Crashed and burned out on approach to Leeuwarden possibly damaged by return fire during attack on No.2 Group Blenheim (F/L Maude). Hptmn Albrecht von Ankum-Frank (Staffelkapitän) killed. Aircraft 95% damaged - write-off."

Luftwaffe QM Loss reports don't provide W.Nr. or plane code letters this early. Nor have we been able to confirm this info from other sources. Listing these only started in late-August (for W.Nr.) and several weeks later for plane numbers. The known photos of the wreckage of this a/c don't provide a plane number due to the badly burned fuselage. If you are able to determine more details of this incident, including an exact location for the crash (for example the name of a farm or polder where it crashed), we we would appreciate being able to add these details to our loss report. Also, further photos of this incident would also be welcome.

Regards,
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:44

jjp_nl is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf-109E Staffelkapitän 5./JG27 - Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank - 2nd August 1940?

Thanks for sharing your information Larry! Looking again at the photo of the crash site I think a crash while attempting to land is more likely. While the a/c is indeed badly damaged it doesn't exactly look like it's smashed into the ground at high speed and a steep angle. I would assume the thing would have exploded into countless small pieces, none of which appears to be the case

I could make attempts to figure out the location of the crash. The area surrounding the AFB has changed quite a bit due to land consolidation, reconstruction of roads (in the process of which quite a few buildings were demolished) and developement of the AFB, be it by the Germans or by the Dutch authorities in the post-war years. But I'm certain I can establish what the situation was like in 1940, and perhaps take it from there.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Jelmer,

Thanks for your offer on pinpointing the 1940 location. That is really what we're after in that regard. I'll leave it to you to pursue the details and possibly more photos of this one.

Regards,