Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th November 2013, 16:48

mimithem is on a distinguished road
Help searching documents on Luftwaffe in Greece 1943

Hello guys,

my question is very specific. I am searching for documents of operations (like ORB's or diaries) of the following Luftwaffe units:

1)III/JG27 & IV/JG27
2)I/StG3
3)2.NaGr2
4)I/TG4
5)Flugplatz Kdo B5/VII

from August 1943 to December 1943. Those units operated in Greece during 1943. Can someone guide me where to search for any formal reports, missions, aircraft, crew, claims, times or anything else?

I know Budesarchiv is ideal but how can I find these documents? Shall I send a question to Bundesarchiv or is it possible to find docs online?

Thank you very much

Themis
Old 17th November 2013, 17:37
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Help searching documents on Luftwaffe in Greece 1943

Might I suggest this:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=35819
Old 17th November 2013, 18:41

mimithem is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

thank you for your suggestion. I actually have this book in my library but unfortunately it does not state operational reports, just movemtns of squadrons, losses, claims and such things. It is a very good book for someone who wants to search for units action in the area but not to write a continuous history of the events. I am afraid I have to direct to Bundesarchiv but any other (easier) idea?
Old 17th November 2013, 18:59
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hi Themis -

You might find fragments of one KTB or another for those units at BA-MA, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I would like to suggest that you get the multi-volume published book on JG 27 by Dr. (jur.) Jochen Prien. In this you will find all of the unit's daily activities for your time period of interest. For the other 4 units, your best bet will be the "Luftlage" section of the Heeresgruppe E daily reports. These are at BA-MA and also on microfilm. Additionally, you can go to London and research the BNA HW 5 CX/MSS series for that time frame. These two archival sources will give you a lot but certainly not everything.

It is clear from your question that you are just starting out on this. The Luftwaffe destroyed about 96% of its records during the first week of May 1945 and very little is left. Accordingly, research is a matter of painstakingly and tediously piecing fragments together from unrelated and often discordant sources.

Best of luck to you.

L.