Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th September 2005, 18:12

NickM
III/JG26 late war 'urban legend';

I recall reading in Caldwell's unit history of JG26 that late in the war, an unnamed enlisted pilot of III/JG26 complained that the brother of one of the Geschwader's 'names' was selling their rations on the 'black market'; I don't suppose anyone happens to know who this person is? Of course if he's still alive I don't want anyone to be sued for libel but if his name can be mentioned, I am curious to hear who it was;

NickM
Old 30th August 2009, 00:49

George Hopp
Re: III/JG26 late war 'urban legend';

Since that sort of stuff has happened in all militaries since the beginning of time I would not think of it as any big deal.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:50

Don Caldwell
Re: III/JG26 late war 'urban legend'

I agree that this wasn't an especially big deal, but I used it as one more reason for III./JG 26's low morale (markedly lower than the rest of the Geschwader) late in the war. My source, a III./JG 26 NCO pilot, did not want to be named, and I have no intention of violating a confidence. Since I had only a single source, you can call it an "urban legend" if you want, but all of his accounts that could be confirmed elsewhere checked out.

Don
Old 31st August 2009, 22:56

NickM
Re: III/JG26 late war 'urban legend'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Caldwell View Post
I agree that this wasn't an especially big deal, but I used it as one more reason for III./JG 26's low morale (markedly lower than the rest of the Geschwader) late in the war. My source, a III./JG 26 NCO pilot, did not want to be named, and I have no intention of violating a confidence. Since I had only a single source, you can call it an "urban legend" if you want, but all of his accounts that could be confirmed elsewhere checked out.

Don

Hi Don; I NEVER expected to hear back on THIS one...let me clarify that I was interested in the identity of the black marketeer...of course if that info is also 'bound by confidence' then I understand completely.

Thanks again;

NM