Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 8th March 2024, 20:53
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: 'Axis Wings' The Luftwaffe & co-belligerent air forces' compendium

Spoilsport but understood Nick !!!
Old 11th March 2024, 19:52

richdlc will become famous soon enough

My thanks to Chris Clifford at Airfix / Key Model World Airfix Model World Magazine for his glowing review of our new 'Axis Wings' venture. Grab a copy before they all go!

https://www.keymodelworld.com/articl...AMKAe0HIXnNJyU

Germany’s World War Two Luftwaffe is one of the most heavily researched subjects for modellers. At this stage of the game, it’s not easy for publishers to offer anything new… but Chandos Publications is making a creditable attempt with its fresh reference series Axis Wings. Other works – such as the current Luftwaffe im Focus from Luftfahrtverlag START and Classic Publications’ previous Jagdwaffe collection – sit firmly with German materiel. However, Chandos’ new venture will also explore co-belligerent equipment and not just from 1939-45; earlier aviation is covered too.

At 184 pages, this thumping, beautifully produced debut volume certainly justifies the £40 price tag, but with around two instalments per year expected, it shouldn’t be too much of a drain on the wallet. Twelve proper chapters fill this edition, along with the closing sections dubbed Photo Album, and Luftwaffe Library and Bulletin Board. These offer varied photos with captions and news of a different publisher’s forthcoming book on a Luftwaffe theme, respectively.

If you are new to Luftwaffe modelling, the individual subjects examined here cover hugely different aspects, which are just as likely to inspire ‘old hands’. Example chapters include Nachtjagdstaffel Finland – Nachtjagdstaffel Norwegen – 4.NJG 3 (mainly Ju 88), plus Sonderstaffel Einhorn and III./KG 200: From Self-sacrifice to Surrender (Fw 190, BT 400 aerial torpedo and more). One of the most interesting – and in some ways surprising – chapters, recounts the story of the Junkers W 34 in Spain during Condor Legion employment. Other sections offer a more human element, such as with Craftsmen of Death: What was it like to be a Luftwaffe aviator. This delves into the psyche and tactics of Germany’s fighter pilots, and showcases particular aces. Actual missions are also described, a good example being via Attack on the HMT Rohna... explaining how II./KG 40 Heinkel He 177s targeted an Allied maritime convoy with Henschel Hs 293 glide bombs... but at great cost.

A superb array of period photos underpins the narrative by different noted authors (Christer Bergström and Chris Goss to name just two), but readers will also welcome the quality colour artwork depicting Luftwaffe aircraft types. Document scans, data charts and maps also help set the story and provide context.

With a truly diverse selection of subjects, Volume 1 of Axis Wings is an absolute must for anyone seeking reference and inspiration for Luftwaffe and co-belligerent aircraft builds. The narrative is engaging and informative, and the venture as a whole is in safe hands with editor Robert Forsyth. It can be ordered directly from Chandos Publications.
Old 14th March 2024, 04:14

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

My copy arrived today.
First quick flip through impression: "Excellent work, great illustration, superb presentation. Will definitely be getting Volume Two"
Old 14th March 2024, 12:07

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
My copy arrived today.
First quick flip through impression: "Excellent work, great illustration, superb presentation. Will definitely be getting Volume Two"
Couldn't agree more - has the look and feel of a Crecy Classic book and has some really interesting and diverse articles written by a fabulous group of old/new Luftwaffe experts. Volume 2 looks like it raises the bar again - really looking forward to that one. Sadly I can't read it for another two weeks yet as I'm saving it for when I go on holiday in Sicily....
Old 20th March 2024, 00:38

many thanks guys!

my trading partners around the world have copies if you prefer to buy closer to home:

Europe:

France
LELA Presse
www.avions-bateaux.com

Germany
Berliner Zinnfiguren
https://www.zinnfigur.com

Sound Beucher
Beuchersound.buecher@t-online.de

Netherlands
Aviation Megastore
www.aviationmegastore.com

Finland
Aviation Shop
shop@aviationshop.fi

Norway
European Airlines
https://www.europeanairlines.no/about/

Czech Republic
Intermodel
intermodel@centrum.cz

USA:

RZM Imports
https://rzm.com

Canada:

JJ Fedorowicz
https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca

Japan:

Beavercorp
https://beavercorp.jp

Australia:

Aeroworks
craig@aeroworks.com.au

Plus of course you can still buy books directly from me here in the UK, either via my website or on eBay (but make sure the ebay seller is myself, chandos_publications_ltd)

www.chandospublications.co.uk
Old 29th March 2024, 16:55

Del Davis is on a distinguished road

I received my copy yesterday. My overall impression is that is an excellent concept and very well edited. The reproduction is also very good and I look forward to Volume 2. If there is any issue with this volume it is page layout. I personally think it amateurish to layout either either profiles or photos across 2 pages leaving details in the crease. It is simply not necessary and should be avoided in a journal of this caliber.

I will definitely buy every Axis Wings that is produced
Old 31st March 2024, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Davis View Post
I received my copy yesterday. My overall impression is that is an excellent concept and very well edited. The reproduction is also very good and I look forward to Volume 2. If there is any issue with this volume it is page layout. I personally think it amateurish to layout either either profiles or photos across 2 pages leaving details in the crease. It is simply not necessary and should be avoided in a journal of this caliber.

I will definitely buy every Axis Wings that is produced
Thanks Del

I would tend to agree with you on the layout. However, this is a learning curve and the idea is that we listen to reader's feedback. So, I will insist that the layout is different in issue 2 - no more cross-page profiles or photos!

Otherwise, thank you for the positive feedback and I hope you keep buying our books..

Rich
Old 11th April 2024, 18:48
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my copy. I am frankly furious. Some of the articles have that f*cking ragged-right layout*! In the future, this is a deal-breaker.

*Ragged-right is one the most evil things ever for bibliophilic eyes.
Old 11th April 2024, 19:02
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Got my copy. I am frankly furious. Some of the articles have that f*cking ragged-right layout*! In the future, this is a deal-breaker.

Obviously I have a bias here, but I’d be far more interested to know what you (or anyone else) thought about what the contributing authors actually wrote rather than opinions on how their words were typeset.
Old 11th April 2024, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post

God you're such a massive pain in the arse. If you hate books so much, don't bother buying them. I'm done with your constant griping at everything and everyone. If you can do better, then by all means do so.