Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st September 2007, 20:31

Gudbrandur is on a distinguished road
The mistical mission.

In looking for my german escape captain her from Iceland I turned to Deutscher Luftwaffenring e.V asking around if someone from the Norway based F Gruppen could point out to me my mistial captain as to the orginal german version of the Icelandic escape story, " I was defending The Tirpitz later in the war." The information sent to me from D. Luftwaffenring is as follows.
Auszug aus Flugbuch von Walter Heuberger vom 12.11.44.
Flugzeug: Ju 88 Kennzeichen: G2+EH
Flugzeugfuhrer: Uffz Bessler Beobachter: Lt Heuberger
Start: 08.07 Uhr in Banak Landung: 12.14 Uhr in Banak.
Flugweg: Banak-Tromsö-Seegebiet west. Lofoten-Bardufoss-Banak.
Auftrag: Such nach fdl. Schiffseinheiten.
Ergebnis: Seegebiet frei. 09.00 Uhr Tromsö ( 09.40 Uhr TIRPITZ in Tromsö versenkt).

Besatzung: FF: Uffz Gottlob Bessler
Beobachter: Lt. Walter Heuberger
Bordfunker: Uffz Werner Kicherer
Bordmechaniker: Gefr Werner Muhsal.
Abwehr : Keine.
Verluste: Keine.

There are few strange things her like, G2+EH, what was this unit doing in Banak in 1944.? Information sent to me from 1.(F) 120 and 124 is, it was not one of ours. What was this aircraft doing. They fly from Banak up north and down south and are at Tromsö at 09.00 and keep on flying south to Lofoten and Bardufoss before returning back north to Banak. How come this aircraft did not fly into all the English aircraft hitting on Tirpitz at the time, Anyone.
Where can I find the POW records for this crew and other relevant information. I am looking for there gravestones.