Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th October 2013, 17:05

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe fighters order of battle - source question

Gentlemen,

I am currently attempting to find data regarding the total strength of Luftwaffe single-engine fighters in 1942 and 1943, sub-divided according to the Luftflotte to which they belonged.

There is a graph, but no numerical data, on this subject in the United States Strategic Bombing Survey report entitled “The Defeat of the German Air Force". The graph can be seen at the following link. I wonder if the tabulated data, on which the above graph was based, can be found in another of the Bombing Survey reports. Does any forum member know if that is the case? As a related question, is anyone aware whether a copy of the “Military Analysis Division: German Order of Battle” report is available at the National Archives?

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Last edited by Paul Thompson; 21st October 2013 at 20:40. Reason: increased clarity
Old 21st October 2013, 20:42

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe fighters order of battle - source question

Having worked on this some more, I have located a total of three relevant documents in the National Archives. I am now looking for 3 more documents and 1 journal article. I would be very grateful for any ideas as to where the latter documents can be found at the National Archives, or indeed whether they are available there at all.

The 3 documents which I have located are as follows:
  • Air 20/7706 AHB Translation VII/107 Luftwaffe Strength and Serviceability Tables August 1938 - April 1945 (Compiled from the records of VI Abteilung Quatermaster General's Department of the German Air Ministry.)
  • Air 40/1207 The German Air Force: first line strength at three monthly intervals during the European War 1939-1945
  • Air 40/2423 ADI(K) 352 Establishment, Strength, Serviceability and Losses of GAF Flying Units, 1938 to December 1944.
The 3 documents that I am looking for are listed below:
  • United States Strategic Bombing Survey, “The Defeat of the German Air Force” (Military Analysis Division, January 1947) (European Report 59)
  • Luftwaffe Strength, 1936-45, USAFHRA K113.3013
  • Anlage 3 zu Genst. Qu. 6. Abt Nr. 4712/43 gKdos. 17 June 43
I am also looking for an East German article by Olaf Gröhler, "Stärke, Verteilung und Verluste der deutschen Luftwaffe im zweiten Weltkrieg", Militärgeschichte 17, pp. 316-336 (1978). Any help is very welcome indeed!

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 16th November 2023, 20:52

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

The second topic in which I am asking questions this month is many years after Paul.

Are there documents in BA MA on the basis of which AIR 40/2423 was compiled?

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 16th November 2023, 22:33
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Andrey -

"Paul Thompson" was a nom de plume (I hope I spelled that right) for a member who used several pseudonyms here before he began using his real name about 2019 or so. I used to correspond with him until c. 2021, but I haven't heard from him since then.

L. deZ.
Old 16th November 2023, 23:41

Hello Larry,

I corresponded with him too.

Anyway, the question is about the German original source of AIR 40/2423.

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 16th November 2023, 23:53
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

AIR 40/2423??

Sorry, Andrey, I don't recall that one at all.

L. deZ.
Old 17th November 2023, 00:15

It was compiled from the papers of General Karl Koller, as far as I know.