Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th November 2023, 23:23

Roundway is on a distinguished road
Dornier 17 of Wekusta 1 Ob.d.L 09/05/1940

Page 193 of Kington & Selinger's Luftwaffe Meteorological Reconnaissance Units 1938-1945 notes the loss of the above aircraft. Their brief account account records it was shot down off the north-east coast of Scotland and that an air-sea rescue salvaged the dead aircrew and may also have searched the floating wreck. The only crew member named was Reg. Rat. Dr Friedrich-Wilhelm Nitze (the meteorologist).

I think the account includes an element of wishful thinking partly because I'm unable to find Nitze's name on Kracker, which suggests the aircrew were not recovered.

In the event I discovered this loss was recounted by F/O Gerry Edge, based at Wick, on page 27 of We Never Slept - the Story of 605 Squadron by Ian Piper. Flying Hurricanes his three-man Flight was ordered to search for a bandit approaching Scapa Flow from the south-east. Whilst flying over Pentland Firth after his two companions returned to Wick to refuel, he spotted an aircraft in the distant south-west approaching Wick. He engaged the aircraft, a Dornier, over Wick. Although the rear gunner opened fire, Edge himself held fire until he was very close, hitting the Dornier's starboard engine - oil from which covered his windscreen.

At that moment one of the pilots who had refuelled, rejoined the action and fired as the Dornier disappeared into cloud. Edge knew the cloud sheet broke up 10 miles to the east and reached clear sky just as the Dornier, starboard engine and wing on fire, broke cloud. As he attacked again one of the crew bailed out before the aircraft crashed into the sea.

Edge returned to Wick, refuelled and returned to the location to guide the Rescue Launch to the survivor. In the event the German airman died as the launch reached harbour.

Would anyone have any details of the Dornier; especially its crew, as one of them must/should be buried in the UK and I should be able to find him on Kracker.

Most of the above comes from Piper's book, but I've also referred to Edge's combat report, although the important description of the action is missing (AIR50/169/50)

Brian
Old 19th November 2023, 02:45

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough
Re: Dornier 17 of Wekusta 1 Ob.d.L 09/05/1940

Hi Brian,

His name is, indeed, Nitze. This is page 96 from Bundesarchiv's file RL 2-III/1173. While blury, the clerk has written over Nitze's name in entry #1.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....pictureid=1444

best regards,

Jim
Old 19th November 2023, 03:15
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Take a look at "Korn, Erich" in the Kracker Archive.

and ...

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...6/anton-fally/

Col.
Old 19th November 2023, 08:02
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

1940-05-09, Wekusta 1 Ob.d.L., Do 17 Z, T5+GU, Dunnet Head
Flugzeugführer Fw Korn, Erich, vermißt
Beobachter Reg.Rat. Nitze, Friedrich-Wilhelm, vermißt
Bordfunker Oppermann, Kurt, vermißt
Bordmechaniker Ofw Fally, Anton, +
Absturz in See infolge Beschuß von Hurricane. Bruch 100 %. Ofw Fally mit Fallschirm abgesprungen. Grab: Cannock Chase/UK, Block 4, Reihe F, Grab 12.

Matti
Old 19th November 2023, 11:11

Roundway is on a distinguished road

Thank you gentlemen, I am very grateful and your replies help me tremendously.

Brian