Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th February 2008, 00:21

Peter S is on a distinguished road
Bf110C shot down 18th August 1940

I need some advice. I`m looking for any informations about a crew of Messerschmitt Bf110C : Obl. Hellmuth and Fw. Winter, shot down over Kent 18th August 1940. Is there any detailed German report of this loss?
Also do anyone know what`s happened to the bodies (remains) of the crew. Can somebody confirm that those people definitely went onto this flight.
Regards
Old 18th February 2008, 01:00

cheesey
Re: Bf110C shot down 18th August 1940

Hello Peter.

(P) Oblt. Heinz Hellmuth & (Bf) Fw. Franz Winter.
6./ZG 26.
Bf 110 C. 100% damaged.
Shot down by Hurricanes of 56 Sqn. Final attack by P/O Mounsdon.

Aircraft fell away after attack on one wing and dived vertically into a copse at Helstone Hole near Lenham where it blew up!

Above from 'Zerstorer' by John Vasco & Peter Cornwell. I'm afraid I don't have burial details though. Hope this helps.

Steve.
Old 18th February 2008, 09:33

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Hello Peter,

Further to Steve's response, the remains of this crew were recovered and their IDs recorded as 53585/175 and 53585/169. This was the only evidence of identification found at the time so the British authorities were unable to immediately establish their correct identities. They were therefore buried as 'Unknown German Airmen', A.I.1.(k) reporting their 'burial believed by RAF Station, Detling'.

Luftwaffe records confirm that the IDs found were those of Oberlt Heinz HELLMUTH & Fw Franz WINTER of 6./ZG26 as stated by Steve so there is no doubt of their true identities. I also have an unconfirmed note that they may have originally been buried at St Nicholas' Church in Boughton Malherbe & repatriated to Germany post-war but this is currently unconfirmed.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:15

Many thanks Steve and Peter.
Do you know more about this plane, any datails?
I`m looking for further informations, because almost 30 years ago local farmer said: three heads, but third one with long hair...one hand with woman`s finger nails. What do you think?
Old 18th February 2008, 17:56

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Peter,

I think that story qualifies as 'urban myth'. It's nonsense.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:15

...or just looks like...
Old 20th February 2008, 15:13
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Women were quite commonly 'seen' in air crashes. Several were 'killed' during Warsaw Airlift.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:53
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

It is fascinating how common these "urban myths" relating to German losses over the UK actually are - and how geographically widespread they are but with a common thread. I have almost lost count of the "three crew in a Me 110 and one of them was a woman" story! Another popular tale is that the pilot knew the area where he landed very well because, pre war, he a) went to school nearby or b) was a waiter at a local hotel! This tale is often accompanied with a story about how he asked after the daughter of the local pub landlord - or similar - upon capture. Most, when captured, allegedly spat on the ground, gave a Nazi salute and said "England finished!" but sometimes conceded "Spitfires too good!". The most bizarre story that has cropped up, several times, is that the airmen wore nail varnish and carried womens toiletries. Makes you wonder what these L/W types got up to in their free time!!! If I had a fiver for each time I had a variation of those stories I wouldn't need beer money for years. Curious, though, how these urban myths about L/W losses over the UK proliferate. Whilst they have no basis in fact and are, often, faintly amusing it has always fascinated me that tales like this range from Kent to Cornwall and from the Isle of Wight to Scotland.