Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th May 2005, 00:18

nadiarnaud
FW 190's wreck in Normandy

Hello

The object of my mail relates to the research of the identity of a pilot whose body was discovered in the wreck of its FW 190 cut down in 1944 and updated last year. The plane was found in Ouilly of Houley to 10 km in the North-East of Lisieux in Normandy (France). Neither the plate of identity nor Werk Nummer of the plane could be found. The indices are a plate carrying the Fw190 inscription, a loop of belt of officer, a radio FUG 16ZY, the color of the marking of the apparatus within Staffel (ringed sharp red figures of black identical to the 2/JG54), inscription carrying the aluminium alloy reference (see photographs), an Iron Cross of First Class, a watch STOSSFEST and the job numbers of the armament given on the Word file joint.
We identify the plane (to be confirmed) like Fw 190 A7 or A8 marked x0 red in its staffel (0 placed in second or third position of a figure bus placed on the inspection door of the left back of the fuselage). According to witnesses, the crash landing would have occurred midday one day of June 1944, period of the hays for one and only possibility for another which was evacuated in July 1944. Here a table to be corrected if required on the color of identification of Staffeln of the units of Fw 190 engaged in Normandy in June - July - August 1944. Which units other than the 2/JG54 had apparatuses marked in ringed red of black?
We hope that you will be able to help us in order to give to this man a last burial.

Cordially.

Last edited by nadiarnaud; 18th May 2005 at 00:25.
Old 18th May 2005, 17:01
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: FW 190's wreck in Normandy

Arnaud,

Stossfest means shock proof, it is not a watch maker.

Did you check Frappé's La Luftwaffe face au débarquement allié?

There seem to be a number of candidates which were MIA from 2./JG54.

If you don't mind I've uploaded a picture you send me through E-mail of the number.

In case you do not want it online, I'll remove it ASAP!

PS.

Does this picture show signs of a yellow or brown number with black outlines, perhaps dating from an earlier time?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th May 2005, 19:13
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

What is the number 731818 in the document refer to? Can't check my DB right now, but there was a WNr. 731xxx 190 A-8 series.
Old 18th May 2005, 21:51
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

731818 was definitely in the A-8 series. Several near there were lost by JG 11.
Old 18th May 2005, 23:10

nadiarnaud

Ruy

I bought Frappé's La Luftwaffe face au débarquement allié? but I did not find of corresponding Fw190; there is to little be errors in the files of Luftwaffe. Would the serial numbers of the weapons make it possible to identify Staffel ?
I confirm that there is beige painting under the number which I think of being one 0.
I search on which part of the plane number 731818 was found.
Cordially Arnaud

Last edited by nadiarnaud; 18th May 2005 at 23:14.
Old 19th May 2005, 09:48

Jon

Hello.

I purchased a wallet and its contents from a collector last year who was part of a dig team on a FW 190 in Europe.
The wallet has the insignia of a Lieutenant on it together with a Swastika.
Contents in the wallet are German French and Italian coins together with a RAD badge and a Soviet badge. All as you can imagine are in a battered state.
I was told the pilot was shot down in 1944/45 by Russian light Flak and was found in the wreckage last year.

Does any of this appear similar to the above FW190 dig ?