Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th May 2020, 18:49

Witold K. is on a distinguished road
Führer der Jagdkräfte

Good afternoon
On 01.09.1941 I./JG1 was created from a unit/organisation Führer der Jagdkräfte. Can anybody explain what was that?
B rgds Witold
Old 18th May 2020, 00:31

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road
Re: Führer der Jagdkräfte

from the book 'Vliegvelden in Oorlogstijd':

In November 1940, the former Kommandeur of the III./JG 2, Major Dr. Erich Mix, came to Amsterdam to perform the function of Nachtjagdführer Holland at the Nachtjagd-Division. On 21 November he was also appointed as Führer der Jagdkräfte Holland. He worked from a terraced house on the Reigerstraat in Badhoevedorp (note: located in Noord-Holland province, neighbouring Schiphol). Mix as well as his right hand Oberleutnant Horst Krüger, flew, if it came out of the blue, also operations himself. Mix's territory was limited to the Dutch coastal area and the North Sea, where convoys in particular asked for protection. At the end of 1940 however, a new I. Gruppe was formed within the JG 1, which would eventually be led by Mix. The autonomous Jagdstaffel Holland transformed in December 1940 to the 1. Staffel of this Gruppe. On September 1, 1941 Mix became Gruppenkommandeur of the I./JG 1.

Kind regards,

Timon
Old 18th May 2020, 21:24
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hello Witold,

to the origin of I./JG 1 see JFV Vol. 5:
1./JG 1 formed from "verstärkte Jagdstaffel Holland" on 7 Dec 1940
3./JG 1 formed from "Ergänzungsstaffel JG 52" on 1 March 1941
2./JG 1 renamed "Tagjagdstaffel Münster-Loddenheide" on 5 July 1941.
There was no Gruppenstab (Stab I./JG 1), the three Staffeln were led by the organisation "Führer der Jagdkräfte".
On 1 September 1941 the Stab I./JG 1 was formed from parts of the "Führer der Jagdkräfte", Gruppenkommandeur was Major Dr. Erich Mix.

Regards
Leo
Old 20th May 2020, 11:36

Witold K. is on a distinguished road

Thank You Gentlemen for those explanations. Seems that noboty in Luftwaffe Personnel Dep. had any idea what to do with Mix after removal from his prev. position.
Ones again thanks