Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 9th April 2007, 17:01

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Corsair loss 2 July 1945

Eric Hammel's Aces Against Japan, vol.1 has a story by Joe Lynch, VMF-224, who got shot down by N1K2-J "George" fighters on 2 July 1945.

From the Corsair loss list I have found that Lynch's machine that day was FG-1D buno. 88242.

Does anybody have photographs of this machine or knows what the markings were like?

Thanks!

Old 17th October 2007, 10:21

Re: Corsair loss 2 July 1945

I've had little luck finding photos of VMF-224 FG-1D/F4U-1D Corsairs so far. Anybody please?

Old 19th October 2007, 04:27

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my copy of the book "Genda's Blade," but did that combat involve the unit of George fighters (343rd?) that is the subject of the book? - it includes photos of some of the pilots and planes that were bounced by those Georges, but without being able to look through the book, I can't say if there are any photos of Lynch or his Corsair.
Old 19th October 2007, 09:54

Yes, it was indeed the 343rd Ku and the story is included in Genda's Blade. Unfortunately the only photo of Lynch and (a glimpse of) his aircraft is one from a few years earlier, as it shows a "birdcage" Corsair model. Thanks for the tip though!

Old 26th October 2007, 10:10

As a sidenote...

The Genda's Blade book also shows a picture of FG-1D BuNo.88441 with extensive damage to its left wing, fuselage and tail. According to the caption this aircraft was the one flown by 2nd Lt. Alson C. Frazer in an encounter with the 343rd Ku on 22 June 1945.

However the loss list has this Corsair loss for 4 July 1945 under the name of 1st Lt Russel Hunchar and there is no loss for Frazer anywhere. Hunchar and Frazer did fly together on the 22 June mission, though.

Does anybody know what's the story here? My assumption is that Frazer's machine was officially scrapped on 4 July and Hunchar, being Frazer's superior, signed the discharge papers for it and is thus recorded as the pilot for this loss.

NB. Recorded VMF-113 losses for 22 June are:
FG-1D / 76559 / Ie Shima Empire / 2nd Lt. R.D. Allcroft
FG-1D / 87905 / Ie Shima Empire / 2nd Lt. F.B. Smith

Both these men were indeed shot down by the 343rd Ku that day.

Old 28th October 2007, 11:37

twocee is on a distinguished road

88441 was damaged beyond repair in a landing accident on 4 July while being flown by 1Lt. Hunchar. I haven't seen the photo to which you refer and wonder whether it in fact shows the results of the accident?
Old 3rd November 2007, 23:36

Here is the photo. Looks like a very violent kind of landing accident!!!

Interesting details that are visible are:
- hole in rudder and damaged left horizontal stabiliser (battle damage?)
- large tear down the rear fuselage (cannon shell or prop strike?)
- scratches down the side of the cockpit
- missing canopy (did Frazer consider bailing or did the pilot have to be cut out, possibly exlaining the scratches?)
- misalignment of the bulkhead behind the cockpit (possibly indicating structural failure following a very rough landing)
- torn-off left wing (Frazer was hit a badly in the left wing and could this have fallen off upon landing or did this aircraft in the photo collide in a landing accident?)
- fluid leaks all over the wing
- fuel tanks still attached (Frazer indeed couldn't drop his tanks)

If this was indeed a landing accident on 4 July, then it's still strange that Frazer's Corsair isn't on the loss list. Perhaps it was repaired afterall?

Seeing as the photo comes from Hunchar's collection, and he had photos of other damaged Corsairs too (damage to Lt. James Johnson's Corsair is shown on the same page in the book) I still believe this could indeed be showing Frazer's machine upon return.

NB. The 20mm shells from the George's cannon didn't have time-delay fuses and thus exploded on impact, causing extensive skin damage but relatively limited internal (structural) damage. This might explain why an aircraft looking this bad could still have made it home.

Old 4th November 2007, 00:27
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
Here is the photo. Looks like a very violent kind of landing accident!!!

Interesting details that are visible are:
- hole in rudder and damaged left horizontal stabiliser (battle damage?)
- large tear down the rear fuselage (cannon shell or prop strike?)
- scratches down the side of the cockpit
- missing canopy (did Frazer consider bailing or did the pilot have to be cut out, possibly exlaining the scratches?)
- misalignment of the bulkhead behind the cockpit (possibly indicating structural failure following a very rough landing)
- torn-off left wing (Frazer was hit a badly in the left wing and could this have fallen off upon landing or did this aircraft in the photo collide in a landing accident?)
- fluid leaks all over the wing
- fuel tanks still attached (Frazer indeed couldn't drop his tanks)

If this was indeed a landing accident on 4 July, then it's still strange that Frazer's Corsair isn't on the loss list. Perhaps it was repaired afterall?

Seeing as the photo comes from Hunchar's collection, and he had photos of other damaged Corsairs too (damage to Lt. James Johnson's Corsair is shown on the same page in the book) I still believe this could indeed be showing Frazer's machine upon return.

NB. The 20mm shells from the George's cannon didn't have time-delay fuses and thus exploded on impact, causing extensive skin damage but relatively limited internal (structural) damage. This might explain why an aircraft looking this bad could still have made it home.
I've been a pilot and A&P mechanic for about 25 years. I use to restore WWII aircraft and my guess would be that this Corsair was involved in a take-off or landing accident and it may not have been the one flying.
The photo evidence shows a plane with drop tanks and flaps retracted, this is normally seen during the take-off sequence or when parked on the ramp.
There doesn't seem to be any damage to the propeller or to the landing gear which makes me think this plane was parked when another aircraft hit it. The other aircrafts wing cutting the slice thru the fuselage.

If you're a believer in that this Corsair has just returned from a flight, these are some of the events that had to take place.
Un-able to drop belly tanks, electrically or mechanically. Un-able to lower flaps hydraulically or manually. After hitting an object hard enough to rip off the left wing and slice thru several of the fuselage frames the a/c did not swerve or pitch up or down to damage the prop or the landing gear. The airframe is almost broke in two, look at the twist in the white bar of the fuselage insignia. You can see a frame showing due to the split in the lower fuselage.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Revi16; 4th November 2007 at 01:06.
Old 4th November 2007, 01:02

Yes Mike, I think you're right. I couldn't understand this as a landing accident but a collision from behind makes good sense. It's easy to visualise now too. The rudder was hit first by the wingtip, which then went on to tear through the rear fuselage, bouncing off the bulkhead (and thereby breaking the fuselage) after which the stump of the wing scratched the side of the cockpit and knocking off the canopy altogether.
The propeller meanwhile tore through the entire left wing after giving the horizontal stabiliser a good kick or two (note the two creases in the tip of the left horiz. stab.).

Additional evidence to support this theory comes from the fact that there are indeed TWO loss entries for 4 July:
04Jul45 FG-1D 88399 VMF-113 Ie Shima Empire 2nd Lt. Martin W. Harke
04Jul45 FG-1D 88441 VMF-113 Ie Shima Empire 1st Lt. Russell Hunchar

It would indeed look like Harke and Hunchar accidentally crossed paths... Seeing as Hunchar's name is recorded he was probably inside the aircraft at the time of the accident. This could have been static, before take off or shortly after landing. Either way it was a ground collision.

It all makes sense now. Thanks Mike for solving this mystery!

Old 4th November 2007, 21:28

twocee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for letting me see the photo, which is clearly of 88441 (last three on cowl). On 4 July Hunchar was rolling out after landing when he was hit from behind by 2Lt Harke in 88399 who had landed too fast and close. Both aircraft were damaged beyond repair.
If '441 was the aircraft flown by Frazer on 22 June the damage must have been minor.