Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st December 2011, 18:27

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Confusing Henschel Hs 126 codes.

Hi

On eBay there is a series of Hs 126 photos which appear to be connected with Aufkl.Gr.32, but have confusing codes and emblems. I have given links to four of these photographs, although there were more.
1] Here and Here. Code appears as M4+F_ Last letter is either a P or R. However I have M4 only being used by 7. And 8./Aufkl.Gr. 32… so it should be M4+FR (7./Aufkl.Gr.32). The F is outlined in white and looks as though it could be in red...but that doesnt seem correct. I am also not totally convinced that the emblem is that shown in Ketley/Rolfe (#571).
2] Here. Only two letters visible under wing which read M_+_P. This could be a stkz, but if it is a unit code, then it is confusing?
3] Here. Visible code seems to be V7+ZG. I’m not a 100% sure about the ‘V’…but V7 is another AufklGr.32 code. The third digit looks like a ‘Z’, although could be a ‘2’…but that would not follow normal coding…But then there is the outlined ‘G’ as the last letter ????

Very confusing!!! Can anyone make sense of any of this?

Ian
Old 1st December 2011, 21:24
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Confusing Henschel Hs 126 codes.

Purely guessing here Ian

What about consider that the two M4+Fx in fact shows M4+FP?
What about considering that your Mx+xP in fact is the same aircraft, M4+FP? Perhaps the 6.(H)/32 also used the M4 code?

Regarding the V7+2G code this was perfectly normal for those units using it. The second digit, in this case 2, indicated the staffel.

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st December 2011, 21:55

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Re: Confusing Henschel Hs 126 codes.

Many thanks, Stig, especially for the V7+ Aufkl.Gr.32 information.

The suggestion regarding the M4+F_ a/c looks good, although I have only 7 and 8 staffel using the M4 code, others used V7+. If 6./Aufkl.Gr.32 also used the M4 code this might explain why I am not convinced that emblem on show was 7./Aufkl.Gr. 32.

Cheers
Ian