Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th October 2008, 17:42

Troy White is on a distinguished road
Tom Lynch MACR

Does anyone out there have a copy of Major Tom Lynch's MACR? I have been searching high and low for a few weeks but have come up empty. What I really would like to have is the complete witness statement writen by Dick Bong who was with him at the time. I have read paraphrased versions of the statement but would like to have the original in its entirety.

Thanks

Troy
Old 27th October 2008, 17:48

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: Tom Lynch MACR

Troy -
Have you checked www.footnote.com ?
Mike
Old 27th October 2008, 18:19

Yes, I have. Although footnote states that their MACR records are 98% complete it seems like there are quite a bit missing. Bob Westbrook's MACR is missing as well as several other high ranking pilots or aces from the PTO.
Old 27th October 2008, 23:52

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

OK -
Have you tried Emailing Ms. Gamma at AAF Archives?
lynn.gamma@maxwell.af.mil
Mike
Old 28th October 2008, 04:08
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Troy,
I have not been able to find Lynch's MACR at footnote.com, either by searching under "Thomas Lynch", or by the aircraft serial 42-103987. They seem to have done a pretty good job of indexing the names in the MACRs, so I suspect they do not have it. However, ...

It can be found in Lynch's Individual Deceased Personnel File. Two pages, the standard MACR form, and Bong's statement. Neither page, nor anywhere else in the IDPF shows a MACR number, so it may never have been forwarded. Lynch was killed in P-38J-15 42-103987.

Bong's statement is dated 10 March 1944. It reads, with original typos:

On 8 March, 1944 I accomplished Lieutenant Colonel THOMAS J. LYNCH on a fighter sweep from Nadzab to Tadji. We sighted 3 luggers and 2 barges in Aitape Harbor just west of Tadji drome. No enemy aircraft were seen so Lt Col TOMAS J. LYNCH dropped his belly tanks and dive down to strafe these boats from land to sea and I followed him down. We turned left and chandelled up and made pass and as I pulled up after him I saw his right propeller falling towards the ocean. I caught up to him and he called me and ask me if I could see him. I answered that I was right beside him and a little below. He turned left back toward land and just as he got over the land his right engine caught on fire. The airplane turned right down flaming. About 100 feet above the trees Lt Col LYNCH bailed out, but his chute did not open. The airplane crashed and exploded right below him, one mile south southwest of the village of Aitape. I circled three times but could not spot the parachute or body. I returned to base.

/s/t/ RICHARD I. BONG
Captain, Air Corps

The MACR gives the time as 1230 L, and states "Hit by a small arms fire from a lugger in Aitape Harbor." The engine serial numbers are given, but not the serial numbers of the weapons.

Frank.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:25

Hi Frank,

Great to hear from you.

Thanks heaps. That is just what I was looking for. I have really been enjoying footnote and like most people, get happily lost in it. I tried searching for Tommy's MACR by several of the most logical key words as you described and repeated the process over the past couple of months hoping for a new posting. I have done the same with other pilots on my wish list.

Cheers

Troy