Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd December 2014, 02:20

PhilippeDM
Re: Nice Me 262

@Sinisa,

I think you made a senseful summary of the difficulties to categorise correctly that plane. I really think we should have a better quality of the picture of this plane in order to better to which unit it belong. Perhaps the trees in the background could help to determine the location of the picture and so more precisely the unit.
Considering the black '11' on this plane, it is consistent with a known picture of Me262 black '1' od KG(J)6.
I realised also that the place of the Karoband on the fuselage is also worth to compare with other plane's pictures as is the size of the chequers, because there too there is huge difference, not to speak on which plane it appears (Bf109 or Me262)
In the past i made a comparision matrix, but it is well overdate now and has to be completely overhauled.
I will do it as soon as time permits...

@Nick,
Thanks for your clarification, but I feel more like Sinisa as this patch to be a large caliber gun hole which is, I admit, very similar in contour and in location of the KG(J)54 Totenkopf. But for me this comparision is not completely conclusive.

Philippe
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:07

sidney is on a distinguished road

Post No.51: Phillipe, thank you for your concurrence with the proposed summary. Some additional photographic evidence featuring this aircraft might yet emerge to help us to classify it correctly.

Regards,
Sinisa
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:12
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

and did you see the final price?

This is why you DON'T share links to auctions publicly on international websites...drives the prices up.

Too bad.
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:23
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

435 Euro's....there have been higher bids in the past for less interesting pictures.
Old 24th December 2014, 05:57
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

the two high bidders registered only to get this photo. Had this link not been posted publicly, the bids never, ever would have gone that high. It was an obscure auction, on an obscure website...it would have sold for less than 50,00 euro, if the lid was kept shut on this...
Old 24th December 2014, 06:01

Mark Proulx is on a distinguished road

Like it or not, but on line auctions are posted on this and other sites. For or against probably depends on if you are a buyer or seller...

Mark Proulx
Old 24th December 2014, 12:36

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

The auction links you don't share are those you find yourself.

Without guys posting up links, how do you become aware of them? At least those interested in this photo now have an average quality copy of it.
Old 24th December 2014, 13:30
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Well, it is an auction...if people want it, the price goes up. If you already found it yourself and plan to bid than you don't want it linked on a forum....:-)))....on the other way around, sometimes I missed it and luckily it was posted on a forum and I could bid....so, it is what it is...
Old 24th December 2014, 14:49
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
the two high bidders registered only to get this photo. Had this link not been posted publicly, the bids never, ever would have gone that high. It was an obscure auction, on an obscure website...it would have sold for less than 50,00 euro, if the lid was kept shut on this...
You sell a lot of things on-line don't you? Are you also an advocate of keeping your "for sale" items obscure or not posted publicly?

Last edited by Revi16; 24th December 2014 at 16:32.
Old 25th December 2014, 15:10

Micke D

If we go back to the identity of the plane in the photo that started this, I have marked the spots where I and most other people should see the discolouration over the checkered band.
I have no photoshop skills so I can't "lift" this discolouration, but I guess that the checkered band would be blue and white under it.

The other Me 262 shown in this discusion, red?/yellow? 3 in Herzogenaurach, is said to belong to III. /KG(J) 6 in Luftwaffe Colours, Jet fighters and Rocket enterceptors 1944-1945 by Smith and Creek.
This could maybe be a KG(J) 54 aircraft later in service with KG(J) 6, with overpainted KG(J) 54 emblem and checkered band now painted black/red.

I still can't see any good reason for KG(J) 54 to paint over the white parts of the checkered bands and the skull and bones emblem on this plane but not on all aircraft as there other photos with either the emblem or both the emblem and band showing.