Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th May 2007, 06:48

NickM
A question regarding Rolf Hermichen

Guys:

I'm in the process of reading Caldwell & Mueller's book, 'The Luftwaffe over Germany' & I'm enjoying it very much right now...but I came across a factoid that puzzled me: Rolf Hermichen was a very experienced Gruppe Kommandeur & after the 8th AAF raid of May 12, 1944 he was relieved of his combat command & assigned to 'fly a desk' for the duration of the war; does anyone know why such an experienced officer was permanently taken off of combat duty? He had been shot down on May 12 but apparently suffered no injuries;
Any clues guys?

TIA

NickM
Old 19th May 2007, 11:44

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: A ?? RE: Rolf Hermichen

small footnote in the Prien history refers to this as one of the few examples of a formation leader being accorded "considerate treatment" (Schonung in the text) - presumably withdrawn from the front before he got killed - and posted to staff and training positions where his experience could be utilised ..
Old 19th May 2007, 17:57

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
small footnote in the Prien history refers to this as one of the few examples of a formation leader being accorded "considerate treatment" (Schonung in the text) - presumably withdrawn from the front before he got killed - and posted to staff and training positions where his experience could be utilised ..
Ah, Thanks....I guess the shock of Gunther Rall being shot down & wounded the SAME day must have given someone 'higher up in the chain of command' food for thought! And I thought he was withdrawn as some sort of punishment for some kind of wrong doing or failure of mission;

NickM
Old 26th May 2007, 17:34

kb

My guess is he was probably at the end of his rope and needed a break. He flew virtually every major action of his gruppe between October 1943 and his downing on 12 May.