Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 6th June 2016, 15:04

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

Gentlemen,

my Hungarian book about the aces of the RHAF in WW II has been released a month ago. It is a heavily upgraded version of the 2006 edition (A/4 size hardcover book with 402 numbered pages, incl. 722 endnotes). The text contains the very detailed military biography of every aces (not just the fighters, but assault, bomber and recce aces too). The book contains 350 illustrations (not just photos, incl. a number of colour ones, but drawings and important document scans too). It also contains several colour profiles.

The 2006 edition lacked the English version - in this case there will be an English edition for sure (but I don't know when, it depends always on the publisher).

Some additional info available here (not just about this book, but about my other academic works too):
https://www.facebook.com/B-Stenge-Cs...5972450531930/
Old 6th June 2016, 18:26

stukapilot is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

congrats, mr. Stenge
the last work of yours "Baptism of Fire" gave me detailed accounts of a less-known conflict, so just hope the english version of your new book could get out asap ))
Old 7th June 2016, 01:13

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

Hi Csaba!
Never got any response for your questions... A pity I could not help you.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:29

stukapilot,

thank you. You will find in the book very detailed military biographies, the most detailed available info on the Hungarian ace kills (including their possible or directly identified opponents), important additional info on unit histories and many extra details on their German brother in arms and Soviet and US opponents too.

Sergio,

thank you, never mind.
For the ones, who does not know, what we are talking about - a Hungarian ace (whose family died out) passed away in a Săo Paulo suburb and despite of my frantic efforts, I was not able to clear his very exact passing date (at the end of the '80's), mostly because the lack of any will to help by the local authorities. Sergio also tried to help me, but he was also unsuccessful.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:06
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Csaba,

Where can one purchase this revised edition? Even/especially if one does not read Hungarian? I eagerly await the English language edition as well. I hope the publisher will bring it out soon,.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 7th June 2016, 16:08

Frank,

your complimentary copy is on the way to you (I shipped it last week - I hope you will receive it soon).

Making the English edition is definitely time consuming, since the length of the text (I am more busy than ever, so a translator needed). I don't have a signed contract yet, just an agreement with a publisher (who has a good, solid Hungarian-English military translator, which is a rare breed). But I don't know the timetable of the publisher and the translator, so I have no approximate release date of the English edition yet.

I have few copies for foreigners, who are interested in the Hungarian edition (due to its size and weight, which is around 1,8 kgs, shipping can be costly and many Hungarian distributors do not ship abroad)
Old 8th June 2016, 12:55
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Csaba

Out of interest, how many victories were claimed by the Hungarians during WW 2?
After a quick glance it seems the aces claimed appx 312 victories (take or give a few depending on how one counts). It would be interesting to know how that amount corelate to the total.

Also what makes your book (English version) different with regard to the fighter pilots than the one written by György Punka some 14 years ago? I understand you have expanded the topic 'ace' and no doubt the number of photos as well.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th June 2016, 09:33

stukapilot is on a distinguished road

i bought the second-hand 2 volume set "Légi Háború Magyarország Felett" from budapest many years ago and gained brief account of operational histories of RHAF by the help of google translator, but the translation was rough as u know. and hikoki also published a book named "Hungarian Eagles. The Hungarian Air Forces 1920-1945" by Punka Sárhidai and Punka György, which i guess it's the abridged edition translated from the origianl "A Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierő 1920-1945" by the same authors, but 64 pages contents r far from what i want to know. so mr. Stenge, what also concerns me most is if u have any plans to write a complete combat history of RHAF in ww2, or the best-known 101st fighter wing, in english of course ))
Old 9th June 2016, 09:51
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Csaba

I was afraid that would be the case.
Well, you have been convincing enough for me to want the book, but it is unfortunately useless in Hungarian for me, so with an English edition in the pipeline, you got another customer...

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th June 2016, 20:12

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Sincere congratulations on the release of the second edition after 10 years.

A few questions is not easy but all in all simple:

1. As a second edition differs from the first (the number of pages / characters, the number of photos)?

2. How much you've gone to make progress of the material in relation to this version from 10 years ago?

3. Did you give a different version of the paper, better quality than that of the first edition?

Once again sincere congratulations, this work requires great effort and passion. This is not eating "bread and butter".

This is a very big success of research and editorial whereas even what you did in the first edition.

Regards
mw

Tags
aces, forgotten heroes, rhaf, royal hungarian air force