Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th August 2007, 20:29
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Victory List for I./ZG26 during the French Campaign

Hello,

I'm trying to complete a complete victory list for I./ZG26 for the Western Campaign of May-June, 1940. I know that the unit claimed 7 French Curtiss aircraft on 10.5.40, but I don't know who made the claims. I'm also missing a claim for a Morane 406 by a 3 Staffel pilot on 11.5.40, aside from the one by Lt. Walter Manhart. Some of the above may be included in the pilots known to have scored victories during the FC, but for whom dates and a/c types cannot be determined: Lt. Werner Thielfilder from Stab, unknown # of victories; Oblt. Johannes Kogler of 1 Staffel, unknown # of victories; Oblt. Wilhelm Spies of 1 Staffel, unknown # of additional victories beyond the one on 27.5.40; Hptm. Herbert Kaminski, 2 Staffel, at least one victory; Lt. Karl Kennel, staffel unknown, at least one victory; Oblt. Paul Förster of 3 Staffel, at least one victory beyond the ones claimed on 14.5.40 and 8.6.40; Obfw. Willi Stange of 3 Staffel, unknown # of victories. In additional, I'm looking for the aircraft types claimed by Hptm. Wilhelm Makrocki of Stab on 21.5.40. I'm also looking for any claims by any I./ZG26 Radio Opertor/Gunners (Bordfunker).

Any help by anyone on this would be greatly appreciated. Please cite your sources for any info presented. I suspect that this is likely going to require access to photos of unit victory boards, FB or some some such sources. Also, some info might come from photos of dated victory tabs on aircraft tails of identified pilots.

I know that this has been a difficult subject for this unit, but I'm hoping for some additional info other than what I already have.

Thanx,
Old 17th August 2007, 20:37
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Victory List for I./ZG26 during the French Campaign

Hi Larry,

I have 15.05.40 12.... 2/ZG26 Olt.Herbert Kaminski #1 (I think he claimed Morane) against MB-152s from the GCI/8 - in fact no french fighter was lost.

Regards

Robert
Old 18th August 2007, 02:21

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

I have Kaminski claiming a Curtis "an der Maas" on 15.05.40. As Robert noted there were apparently no French losses. The information I have comes from Kaminski's Wehrpas and Vorschlagsliste Nr. 5 (for his Ritterskruezes).

Cheers

Jeremy

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com
Old 18th August 2007, 08:08
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Robert & Jeremy,

Thanx to both of you. This is one less mystery to solve. I'm hoping there will be more info out there such as this.

Regards,
Old 18th August 2007, 17:12
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Oblt. Johannes Kogler claimed at least one French Fighter near Reims on 12.05.1940. This was his first victory. He probably claimed another the same day, but I don't think this was confirmed.

cheers,

John.
Old 18th August 2007, 19:07
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

John,

Thanks for the Kogler victory info. Can you tell me your source for this info? Are there any more details?

Were you ever able to locate a copy of the I./ZG1 history that we corresponded about two or three years ago?

Best wishes,
Old 18th August 2007, 19:14
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Larry,

source is ADI(K) Report No. 116/1945 after Kogler was captured on 1.1.1945 (Bodenplatte). Some details of his service during the FC are listed in this report. In this report he states that he has 4 victories (which I have more or less all) and 90 Feindflüge. He received the DKiG on 10.07.1944 for a mission with III./ZG 26 on 11.4.1944.

Refresh my memory on the I./ZG 1 question....

cheers,

John.

Last edited by John Manrho; 18th August 2007 at 22:45. Reason: typo
Old 18th August 2007, 20:21
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Just a note about one of the referenced pilots in this post. The Obfw. "Willi" Stange" cannot be the Lt. "Willy" Stange of I./JG3, who scored 3 victories during the FC with that unit. Unless my original source is wrong, these are two different people. Can anyone confirm that an "Obfw. Willi Stange" served with 3./ZG26 during the FC?

Thanx
Old 19th August 2007, 22:37
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

As follow on to my previous, the Obfw. Willi Stange that I was seeking victory info on for the French Campaign was KIA with his BF on a sortie over England on 18.8.40. He was a known pilot of 3./ZG26. Still looking for info on his victory claims during the FC.

Thanx,
Old 14th September 2007, 11:43

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Larry,

As my main subject of interest is the I.NJG 1, the history of the original unit I.ZG 1 does interest me too. Unfortunately, I only became aware of the existance of a I.ZG 1 history when I read Falckenjahre of Wolfgang Falck. I corresponded with Herr Braatz, editor of Falcks biographie, but he had no longer access to the house archive of Wolfgang Falck.

This chronic of I.ZG 1 is most helpful for some people: those who research the Polish Campaign, me as a nightfighter 'buff' so perhaps we can join forces in the search for this history? My sole interest is to know more about some pilots who later became nightfighter pilots.

All the best, Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Study Group Venlo Airfield in WW-2
Förderverein Ehemaliger Fliegerhorst Venlo e.V. (see www.fliegerhorst-venlo.net)