Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2016, 07:17

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road
Re: New Me109 Wreck Discovered. ** Some Graphic Content

Thank you. I am actually a trained archaeologist with field experience in the eastern Mediterranean, so, yes, the techniques employed here are beyond abysmal, in my view. As for 'reality', you'll not find much of that on the Interweb these days.
Old 20th May 2016, 12:39

Buz

I suppose first and foremost any trained archaeologist with field experience in the eastern Mediterranean will find the methods used for crew recovery beyond abysmal. But we are not talking archaeology here, we are talking aviation archaeology, which is an entirely different beasty.

Unlike a dig in the eastern Med which is about learning, knowledge and understanding of the site, culture, and peoples that site presents, aviation archeology is about recovery, be it components or crew. The weeks/months frames that such an eastern Med dig would have (and in some cases the ability to close the site for later digs) don't exist for aviation sites, as quite often the dig will be restricted to one or two days only if you're unlucky. I have seen total destruction of an aviation related site, just to get the crew recovered, with no thought for the aircraft remains, or the niceties of archeology - except in regard to the crew. On the flip side I have been on a recovery where we were on site for over 3 weeks, taking our time and doing it right (well according to our archeologist "Almost right"). But at the end of the day the outcome was the same, two crews recovered and buried with dignity and honour.

This is Russia, as soon as that site was opened it became a target for people with less thought for the pilots remains. The fact the Russian team continued the recovery after finding out it was a German aircraft, and if reports are right have handed over the remains and Personal effects to the VDK for an honourable burial/return to the family, then I can overlook the methods used. They could have simply just tossed it all back in the hole and walked away because of the Nationality, they did not.

The Russian methods are crude yes, but they are doing the best with the tools they have, but on a plus note, look at the numbers these groups are finding and recovering from both sides in Russia. Maybe the Video wasn't what we are used to (but the Russians have different standards to our Western PC), but I see no desecration or disrespect, only the investigation of the available clues to try and make an ID.

Buz
Old 20th May 2016, 15:24
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Well said.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:03

D.B. Andrus

I agree, Mike. Well said, Buz.
Old 20th May 2016, 21:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

As well to end this thread on that positive note, I think.