Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd December 2011, 02:27
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking date and specific location of FL by Ju87B T6+EP of 6./StG2 on hillside above Moselle River near Trier, Germany, winter 1939-40

Hello,

1) Can anyone provide a specific location of this force-landed Ju87B-1, T6+EP, of 6./StG2, which apparently set down on a hillside above the Moselle River. Photo captions say this is vicinity of Petrisberg, near Trier, Germany. A specific town or village of Petrisberg doesn't come up on my search, so perhaps this has since been absorbed into the city of Trier or is even a suburb of that town. The attached photo gives a good idea of the nearby area in the river valley below, and should allow the exact spot of the FL to be pinpointed. A key bridge and a factory or power plant are good reference points.

2) The several photos of this incident in the EOE Data Base show a light snow cover on the terrain, but I haven't been able to actually ID the specific date of the incident during the winter of 1939-40, nor any information on the crew. An analysis of the source indicates that several photos of this incident were taken by a member of 8./Flak-Rgt.14., which was stationed somewhere near Petrisberg between 16.11.39 and 16.2.40. Perhaps records of that unit would give us a specific date and/or info on the aircraft crew, if anyone has access to them. The aircraft carries the "Felix the Cat" insignia on the forward fuselage, one of the relatively few examples of a 6. Staffel a/c carrying this insignia. It is very likely that this a/c was recovered with very little damage and thus won't appear in the Luft QM records. Dating this incident may help me determine the approximate date that 6 Staffel a/c applied this insignia. I'm also looking for evidence of whether it was applied to all a/c of the unit at the time.

Thanx once again for your assistance.
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:18

Horst Weber
Re: Seeking date and specific location of FL by Ju87B T6+EP of 6./StG2 on hillside above Moselle River near Trier, Germany, winter 1939-40

Larry !

Petrisberg is a local district southeast of Trier. At Google earth, you can locate it near the former Stalag and the barracks, whose buildins are set like a half-circle.

Best regards !

Horst Weber
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:50

Bf 110 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking date and specific location of FL by Ju87B T6+EP of 6./StG2 on hillside above Moselle River near Trier, Germany, winter 1939-40

Larry,

I would say this is the approximate position of the FL: http://maps.google.de/maps?q=49.7693...k&vpsrc=6&z=14
Because you can see the railway bridge and there's an industrial area as well. And it's Petrisberg.

Merry Christmas
Bf 110
FULL OF THUNDER AND GLORY
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:13

ianatheling is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry
As well as a second photo of the same incident (with code showing) I have two other early 6./StG 2 photos. I have a photo of T6+JP with early position wing balkankreuz, so probably Sept 1939. There is no emblem on this. I also have a fairly well known photo of a Ju 87B with prominent emblem and Göring and Udet present. The photo is dated to 7th March 1940.

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by ianatheling; 17th April 2012 at 16:35.
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:19

Horst Weber

Good evening Larry !

The R/W bridge in the background x-ing the Moselle river, is the Pfalzel R/W bridge. In the close background, it is leading beyond the river-crossing into the huge M/Y of Ehrang.

@BF 110
The Google Earth position of your post shows the "Grüneberg" at Trier and the proving ground of the there established WTD 41 (Wehrtechnische Dienststelle der Bundeswehr 41). The historic camera-position is facing appx. due North and on my opinion, the accident took place rather on the nearby "Petrisberg" then on the "Grüneberg".

Best wishes and Merry Christmas from Germany !

Horst Weber
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:48
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello all,

Thanx for the comments and postings.

With the map, I think we've got the location nailed. Horst, what do you mean: "on my opinion, the accident took place rather on the nearby "Petrisberg" then on the "Grüneberg"

Are you saying that "Petrisberg" and "Grüneberg" are suburbs of Trier, and that this probably happened within the boundary limits of "Petrisberg?"

Is it possible that during WW II, on what is now the Bundeswehr test center, there was an airfield above the crash site, and the Ju87 might have run off the runway? On the side of this hill is a very odd place for this a/c to have done a nose tip unless it ran off a runway and part way down the hillside while trying to land.

Ian, the first photo that you posted is one that I'm well familiar with and is in our EOE DB, however, the second is not in the DB and is very helpful, especially since it is dated. Thanx.

Regards,
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:59

RolandF is on a distinguished road

The "Petrisberg" (or "St. Peter´s mountain") is a "mountain" ridge east of the city centre of Trier running north-south parallel to the river. Here´s a photo from the opposite side of the Moselle river looking east towards the Petrisberg. The radio tower is built right on top of the Petrisberg:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...20081209162058

The railway bridge is situated north of Trier, connecting the east bank of the Moselle with the small village of Pfalzel. "Grüneberg" is the specific name of this part of the "Petrisberg" ridge

Regards

Roland

Last edited by RolandF; 23rd December 2011 at 09:09. Reason: typo
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:49

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
With the map, I think we've got the location nailed. Horst, what do you mean: "on my opinion, the accident took place rather on the nearby "Petrisberg" then on the "Grüneberg"

Are you saying that "Petrisberg" and "Grüneberg" are suburbs of Trier, and that this probably happened within the boundary limits of "Petrisberg?"

Is it possible that during WW II, on what is now the Bundeswehr test center, there was an airfield above the crash site, and the Ju87 might have run off the runway? On the side of this hill is a very odd place for this a/c to have done a nose tip unless it ran off a runway and part way down the hillside while trying to land........
Larry !

There was no airfield on "Petrisberg or "Grüneberg" those days. The Trier military aifield was at Euren, wich is located some km west and directly along the Moselle-river and the main road to Luxembur.

My guess ist, that this incident took plache during the so called "Phoney War" between September 1939 and May 1940. It is well possible, 6./StG 2 made training operations with the Pfalzel R/W bridge as target simulation.

On the nearby "Grüneberg" was a Flak-positon of the Westwall Luftverteidigunszone West (LVZ) (Air Defence Zone West) and during the Phoney War, those Flak-positions were manned. Probably with a unit of Flak Rgt 14.

Best regards !

Horst Weber
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:43

JoMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian

Can you read the WNr. of your picture, it looks like 276 or 278 ?

best wishes (and happy chistmas for all)
JoMe
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:48

Bf 110 is on a distinguished road

Hello Horst,

looking at Larry's photo, I would say it is Grüneberg, because of the stuka's position in reference to the railway bridge and the nearby factory. Petrisberg must be more to the left.

Regards,
Bf 110
FULL OF THUNDER AND GLORY