Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th April 2010, 21:22

pstrany
Early Model B-24 Questions

Hi all;

I'm working on an early model B-24, and had several questions about the aircraft, particularly the rear fuselage.

To start, the rear fuselage of the Liberator I//LB30/B-24 was not as deep as the later models. As best I can tell from photos, the tailplane was actually located above the level of the rear fuselage, and the tailplane was blended into the fuselage via a raised fairing, similar to the Lodestar. As the Liberator models advanced, this fairing disappears, with the tailplane appearing in subsequent models to be below the level of the line of the rear fuselage. What I need to know is was the tailplane lowered relative to the wings and fuselage, or was the line of the rear fuselage fuselage raised to accomplish this?

Next, the engines of the early Liberators were round, not oval. Were these the same height as the subsequent models with oval cowlings and fairings? In other words, did they just add width to the cowlings and fairings of the later models? What was the diameter of the cowlings on the early Liberators?

Lastly, how much shorter was the nose of the early Liberators versus subsequent models?

I've been searching everywhere for decent drawings of the early Liberator, but so far have been unable to find any. AJ Press did a pretty comprehensive set of B-24 drawings with their three-part monograph, but I find the details of the early Liberator drawings are just plain wrong....

Thanks!

Paul