Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 3rd September 2017, 15:47
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Females in German war production

George Forty states in his book German tanks of World War Two that 2.25 million females worked in the British war industry while only 182,000 women worked in the German war industry. Are these figures correct? Are there available comparison figures for WW1?
Old 4th September 2017, 20:45

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Re: Females in German war production

I don't think so. I believe this was a myth put out after WW II and in recent decades it has been proved false.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:32
Alter Hase

CJE

What was a myth?
The German figures or the British?
Old 6th September 2017, 00:26
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

You might find the answer in either "The Wages of Destruction" by Adam Tooze or "The German War" by Nicholas Stargardt.
Old 6th September 2017, 19:08
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

One might indeed, but I don't think I am buying two books for just this information.
Old 7th September 2017, 16:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
One might indeed, but I don't think I am buying two books for just this information.
Both in paperback and very much worth reading, especially "Wages of Destruction" (£12.99) which dispels many misconceptions about the German economy.

Pages 513–515: "German women in 1939 were already more actively engaged in the labour force than Britain's women were to be even at the end of the war. [Reich Labour Ministry data for 1943] the share of women in work was 25.4 per cent in the United States, 33.1 per cent in Britain and 34 per cent in Germany".
Old 7th September 2017, 21:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you, Nick. That was very helpful. Indeed, I've see many photos of German women working on aircraft assembly. This, of course, does not include women forced laborers also engaged in war production.

Ed
Old 7th September 2017, 22:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Thank you, Nick. That was very helpful. Indeed, I've see many photos of German women working on aircraft assembly. This, of course, does not include women forced laborers also engaged in war production.

Ed
Yes, very hard to tell from photos if they were German or not. Compulsory labour service people from occupied Western Europe might not be easy to spot.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:39
Alter Hase

CJE

Rosa die Nieterin?
Old 13th October 2017, 05:15

Sussy9845 is on a distinguished road

Does that include women who worked in auxiliary roles in the military? Some 500,000 women in Germany were in the military with roles such as health services, secretaries, telecommunications operators and working with anti-aircraft troops.

I also found mention of younger girls who were employed in the agricultural sector. There is also some conflicting reports of anywhere between 1.2 million and 15 million women working in the arms section during the war.