Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th March 2012, 21:27

Kurtl12 is on a distinguished road
Time difference between German and American reports

Gentlemen,

was there any time difference between german and american reports of the time period WW2? I wonder if both sides had summer time or not. Thanks for the answer. - Kurtl
Old 16th March 2012, 21:56
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Time difference between German and American reports

I've run into the same problem with times on a number of occasions. German time is an hour earlier than UK time I believe, and have seen such conflicts occur with reports for the same incident from both sides, at least sometimes. I suspect that the USAAF was probably using UK time and the same conflicts might occur. Just a guess on my part - it can be rather confusing.
Old 16th March 2012, 22:11

bill norman

Kurt,
UK and CET hours of the clock differed in several ways -and at different times of the year - during WWII. Send me your e-mail address by PM and I'll send you a table that will answer all of your questions.

BN (www.billnorman.co.uk
Old 16th March 2012, 22:15
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Yes, for instance US FG's used GMT time and German units MEZ time.....as an example, combats between 56th FG and IV./JG 54 on 21.9.1944 were an hour different.....according the 56th FG at 15.15 hrs and according IV./JG 54 at 16.15 hrs.....

During the war summertime etc confuses things also and delta's might be +1 hrs or +0 hrs pending the date. The internet should be able to clarify that....

John
Old 16th March 2012, 22:17
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_European_Time

note WET for winter months
Old 17th March 2012, 12:26

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road

Here the answer for your time differences question between the Netherlands, Germany and the U.K.

Jaap

Last edited by Jaap Woortman; 31st May 2013 at 20:58.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:45
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I work on the basis that an individual unit (e.g. a fighter squadron) will normally report using the local time. A higher echelon drawing together material from both sides of the line (e.g. Ultra and radio monitoring reports) will generally standardise everything on GMT, regardless of the time of year.
Old 17th March 2012, 19:42

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

There are a couple of interesting pages on this in PRO Reader's Guide No.8 'RAF Records in the PRO' explaining the differences between GMT, BST, BDST, CET and GST and more importantly what applied when. If you can PM me your personal e-mail, I'll get them scanned and sent.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:10

Kurtl12 is on a distinguished road

So how was it on July 8th, 1944 over Austrian territory? Germans used GST (Greenwich Summer Time) which was GMT + 02:00hrs. What time did the pilots of 15 USAAF used? Was it equal to british local time?
British local time was (July 8th): BDST (British Double Summer Time) = GMT + 02:00 hrs. So it would be the same like german local time, right?
Old 19th March 2012, 21:11

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

GST = German Summer Time. By and large RAF unit records use local time as you will have now seen from what I sent you but please also bear in mind Nick's point about GMT. I'm not so sure about American records. As you say GST = BDST in July 1944.