Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 28th October 2006, 16:18

Location: Post-Confederate People's Republic of Alabamastan, Suh!
chicoartist is on a distinguished road
Solomons-based Corsairs - open cockpit flying?

Question and a request:

In your Corsair refs for the Solomons-based WWII USN/USMC Corsairs, do you see any shots of Corsair pilots flying with canopies slid back?
I know that it *can* be done, but if I can find a shot or two of actual Corsairs during that time flying in-theatre "open cockpit", I can justify *my* Corsairs in my upcoming Corsair oil painting having the canopies slid back. That way I can also show pilot details, etc. Something a little different in any case.

My painting will show F4Us flying along over dawn clouds - not engaged in actual combat -- when, of course, their canopies would be *closed*.

The request is that you post any shots here for all to see as well. Also, do you have any good close up shots of said F4U-1A cockpit/open canopy taken from approximately the 12:30 - 1:00 high (looking down into the cockpit) position, so I can get the 'details' right?

Any help much appreciated!

Wade

email: chicoartist -at- yahoo.com, if you prefer.
Old 29th October 2006, 05:51

fsbofk is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomons-based Corsairs - open cockpit flying?

No luck finding any open-canopy in-flight/formation shots for the Solomons period; the only open-canopy photos were during take-off or landing. I did find several open-canopy in-flight shots from later in 1944, but near Guam and Eniwetok
Old 4th November 2006, 00:10

Just did this little guy today ... not the oil sketch I was going to do this size, but I still had a couple of "issues" I needed to resolve via pencil study. Next up is a larger, more refined pencil study - after I finish the detailed outlines for both planes.

I'm still debating whether or not to show the canopies open or closed. Looking at this, I kinda like them closed.

Study for "VF-17 Corsairs" (working title)
4.5 x 6 inches
Pencil on 100 lb. Bristol
The final canvas will be 24 x 32.

Wade
Old 4th November 2006, 05:50

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Lookin good ! Corsairs in the Solomons were pretty well weathered, which gives you a wide range of "blues" to work with. Also, VF-17 Corsairs, like a lot of F4Us in the Solomons, had white sealing tape on the top of the fuselage in front of the cockpit to control gasoline leakage - the tape was a prominent visual feature of Corsairs in that area.
Old 4th November 2006, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbofk View Post
Lookin good ! Corsairs in the Solomons were pretty well weathered, which gives you a wide range of "blues" to work with. Also, VF-17 Corsairs, like a lot of F4Us in the Solomons, had white sealing tape on the top of the fuselage in front of the cockpit to control gasoline leakage - the tape was a prominent visual feature of Corsairs in that area.
Yes, thanks. I have one color shot I got from Jack Cook that shows some Marine Corsairs looking like pure trash! The "lower" sections of the wing (the aft sections of the wings when the plane is sitting on the ground) is obviously extremely heavily fuel-stained.

I've seen some 'overweathered' models in my time, but in the case of the photo it would be hard to match the level of 'wear' without getting laughed off the table. With paintings, it's best to 'indicate' rather the 'render' the true depth of wear present. In 2-D, all effects seem to magnify; unlike a scale model where it's render, render, render, or the 'effect' doesn't exist. "Indicating rather than rendering" doesn't translate as well in 3-D.

VF-17, like a lot of other Corsairs of that era, also sealed the -1/-1As 60-some-odd gallon wing tanks with white medical tape. As you may know, the -1D model did not have the "wet" wing tanks - probably due to the introduction of the -1Ds wing pylons for drop tanks (but I'm not a Corsair 'spurt).

I only "hinted" at the wing and fuselage tank tape on the drawing above because the drawing is very small - all 'visible' details, most of them, anyway, will show in their full glory on the larger pencil study to come. This little drawing was just to get something down on paper to "encourage" me - or at least get me deeper into the "problem-solving" mode.

Thx,

Wade
Old 4th November 2006, 14:34
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Wade
Two points. First is I think both aircraft are way to close for a combat formation. Second, I know it is a sketch, but I feel there is something wrong in the geometry. The aircraft seems to sleek for me and there is something wrong with the wings. The latter may be an illusion, but then I think the aircraft should be slightly repositioned to avoid it. Have you used a plastic kit as a model?
Old 4th November 2006, 23:48

George Hopp

As the a/c appear to be flying near some pretty nasty cloud, the #2 would want to be tucked in as close to his lead as he could possibly be, because you would not want to lose your lead as you are flying through cloud, especially thick cloud.
Old 5th November 2006, 00:05
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Wade,

Just like in the movies you need to have room for some artistic licence to add drama. You are a gifted artist, just keep up the good work!

Great to see how you work on your site, as in this example:

http://wademeyersart.tripod.com/id51.html

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 5th November 2006, 05:45

Thanks for the comments - good and not so good always welcome here. I'm certainly not above "taking suggestions" and "reminders". Means you guys are paying attention!

Besides, you'll never even come close to the bone-jarring critiques I got in my early days, from none other than Keith Ferris and other luminaries in person - so keep trying! People have been known to quit painting after going through the "grinder" (partner, you ask for a critique - that's what you get! ... but it's fair, and constructive if you have the right attitude) at ASAA Forums!

I must remind you, however, that the entire image of *this* study is about the size of a standard 4 x 6 inch photograph! You know, like back in the day when you used to have your, uh, what's it called . . . oh yes, 35mm FILM developed.

Accordingly, my thoughts while working on this study were confined to: "Lights here, darks there - how does it look when I squint my eye?". If I didn't like what I saw, I added dark here, or erased there. Exact shapes (or perfect ellipses on national insignia) were not sweated over for more than 10 seconds each.

I was mainly trying to 'capture' the main Corsair - the wingman was "blocked in" in about 2 or 3 minutes. As I said, I haven't even completed a final, refined, outline for both planes. THAT'S when I'll sweat perfect ellipses and exact shapes.

Not making excuses so much as explaining for those interested what's going on.

Oh, Ruy, you're exactly right - I let stark, cold, reality be my guide and jumping-off point, not my Lawgiver. Many forms of art - including films, etc., etc., would suffer greatly if the "purists" (God Bless 'Em, though - I count on them to write the expensive reference books I use!!) had the hammer on all decisions.

Wade
Old 5th November 2006, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hopp View Post
As the a/c appear to be flying near some pretty nasty cloud . . .
A joke we aviation artists have is that the worse the flying weather (in real life), the better the painting looks!

Wade