Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th August 2019, 15:27
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Walter Hanneman

I'm looking for information on Fw Walter Hanneman, who was an interrogator at Dulag Luft along with Hanns Scharff.

According to information I've found he lived in Rochester, NY before the war. He went to Germany and served as a Stuka pilot before being wounded. He ended up as an interrogator until the end of the war. He eventually returned to Rochester NY by 1948.

I looked at 1930 census but could not find him in Rochester, NY. My main question is whether he was born in the USA and went to Germany as a volunteer or he was born in Germany and went to the USA at an early age. His birth date would be helpful.
Old 28th August 2019, 16:02

ghostwriter is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Walter Hanneman

maybe it is helpful in any way:

Quote:
Since there were 2 prisoners another guard, Sgt. Walt Hanneman (also a Luftwaffe interrogator), was assigned to help Haussmann. As they made their way to the Allied front lines, Haussmann would obtain food and water for them from the local villagers they encountered. When they reached the Allied front lines Haussmann and Hanneman turned over their weapons to Hillman and his companion and voluntarily became their prisoners of war!! Hillman wrote a report on the help Haussmann and Hanneman had given them. Then Haussmann and Hanneman were flown to England for interrogation. Hillman and his companion were processed back to the states and arrived back home safely.

In August 1946, Hillman received a TWX from an Air Force acquaintance who was running and Allied prison camp in Belgium, stating that one of his German prisoners had a wild story about helping Hillman escape from a German prison camp during the war. Hillman immediately replied giving the pertinent facts regarding the part that Haussmann and Hanneman had played in his escape and recommending that they be immediately released. In a few weeks Hillman received confirmation that the two had returned to their homes. Hillman later established contact with Haussmann at his home in Innsbruck, Austria and began sending him monthly CARE packages that contained food and other essentials hard to get in that occupied country. In the summer of 1949, while he was in Europe on business, Hillman drove to Haussmann's home in Austria and knocked on the door. Haussmann was quite flabbergasted when he recognized him and they spent several hours bringing each other up to date. Hillman met Haussmann's wife and young son and daughter. When the time came for Hillman to leave Haussmann insisted on driving as far as he could with Hillman and they spent the night at a hotel. During this time, Haussmann made his case that Austria was a poor place to raise his children at that time. He asked Hillman to explore the possibilities of emigrating to the United States. Hillman promised to look into the situation. Upon his return to the US, Hillman queried into the US State Department and a full investigation of Haussmann was done, including his assistance in Hillman's escape. Hillman was then told if he "vouched" for Haussmann, that he would never go on welfare, then the Haussmann family could enter the U.S. and apply for citizenship. Hillman agreed to do so and after several months of correspondence with Haussmann, he arrived in Seattle. Haussmann was an intelligent and industrious man and he soon made a career in the sportswear business. Neither Haussmann nor Hillman have heard from Hanneman since 1945.
source: http://www.merkki.com/new_page_2.htm

best regards
ghost
Old 29th August 2019, 01:47
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Walter Hanneman

Thanks, I have read this before. This in the Book "The Interrogator".
What I am trying to establish is whether Walter Hanneman was born in the US or Germany. Also, his middle initial would help
Old 31st August 2019, 20:15

ghostwriter is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Walter Hanneman

hello,

the whole story is a bit mysterious!?
I'm sorry I couldn't help you ...

best regards
ghost