Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th August 2020, 19:02
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Sicily '43: The First Assault on Fortress Europe

The description claims an emphasis on Allied air superiority. Scheduled for 3 November.

https://www.amazon.com/Sicily-43-Ass...=books&sr=1-29

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 20th August 2020, 22:29
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Sicily '43: The First Assault on Fortress Europe

As someone looking back over 70 years of World War II historiography, it amazes me how these titles keep on coming. It seems like each new generation gives rise to its stable of prolific authors who can rewrite old volumes on the same subject, update them by adding an ounce or two of new material and do it quickly. While reading the publisher's blurb for this one, I couldn't help thinking of the U.S. Army Office of the Chief of Military History's Sicily and the Surrender of Italy, Green Series, WashDC: 1965, 607 pages. It will be interesting to see how much the new work by author Holland provides that's not in the 55-year-old OCMH title, which has been the "bible" on this subject for the past two generations. Additionally, it appears that the OCMH book is now available on the internet free of charge.

Larry deZeng
Old 20th August 2020, 23:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
It will be interesting to see how much the new work by author Holland provides that's not in the 55-year-old OCMH title …

Larry deZeng
Well he was the guy whose book on the Battle of Britain said (twice!) that Stuka crews experienced negative-g when pulling out of their dive.
Old 20th August 2020, 23:23
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be happy to buy those O. C. M. H. books if reprinted in hardcover in high quality with the maps as in originals for a decent price (say 50 euros per book).
Old 20th August 2020, 23:49
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

The secret, if you will, for books like this is phrases like "... vital new perspective... " and "... overturns conventional narratives..." That's what draws people in.
Old 21st August 2020, 20:38

krichter33 is on a distinguished road

Jukka, they have been reprinted by Whitman Publishing in hardcover, excellent binding, and with the foldout maps in the back folder......I own all of them, but buy them new, not used, because sometimes if they're used the maps are not there anymore. Make sure to get the Whitman Publishing ones.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=U.S.+Army...ref=nb_sb_noss

Unfortunately, the Mediterranean Theater of Operations books have only been reprinted in cheap paperback versions without the folder of maps. For those I bought the original "Green Backs." They are all excellent books. These you might have to buy used because they can be pricey, but make sure the seller has ALL the maps from the back folder.

I also highly recommend the British official histories as well as the Canadians. I especially like the Canadians history in Italy. Another thing I like about the U.S. British and Canadians histories is even though they are from the Allies perspective, they go into a lot of detail, tactically and operationally from the German perspective as well. They have quite a lot of detail on German units, down to battalion level at times, and commanders. That is why I bought them.
And the maps are the best! Too bad Germany doesn't have a really good detailed Military history, in the same vein as these ones from the Allies. Their "official" history "Germany and the Second World War" is more of a sociological and economic "grand strategy" type of series. For military matters it is nowhere as detailed as the U.S. British and Canadians histories. The only exception would be VIII by Frieser which is really good.
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:15

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

I am a Patreon of James’s at his podcast (wehaveways), which is excellent btw. I don’t doubt he’s made the odd mistake in his books and the negative G one above sounds a bit of a howler, but as someone who put his daughter’s birth month down on his sons passport, I understand how easy it is to make silly mistakes.

I find him to be a very modest, friendly, passionate about WW2 and extremely knowledgeable chap. Why not give his book a try when it comes out before making your mind up ?
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:02
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko54 View Post
I am a Patreon of James’s at his podcast (wehaveways), which is excellent btw. I don’t doubt he’s made the odd mistake in his books and the negative G one above sounds a bit of a howler, but as someone who put his daughter’s birth month down on his sons passport, I understand how easy it is to make silly mistakes.
The first negative-g reference I definitely read in a spirit of "there but for the grace of God …", the second one had me thinking he might actually believe it.