Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 11th April 2008, 15:13

Christian Schulz is on a distinguished road
Question Further unit histories á la "Jagdgeschwader 27" - hope for the future?

Dear Dr. Prien!

After recently purchasing "Jagdfliegerverbände" volumes 9/II and 9/III I was wondering if there are any plans for future unit histories in the kind you published on JG 3 or JG 27? My main interest is the Eastern Front, especially 1942 and 1943 with the focus on JG 51 and 54. Apart from 9/II and 9/III there's very very little on operations of these two units even in the more "popular" series such as Osprey Aviation units (yeah, I know, I know ... sometimes crumbs is all you have, though ).

So will my hopes remain just that or is there a chance that you'll enhance your unit history line to further units? After finishing "Jagdfliegerverbände", that is.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:26

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Further unit histories á la "Jagdgeschwader 27" - hope for the future?

Dear Christian,

I'm afraid that I will have to disappoint you as far as further unit histories are concerned, as I do not intend to publish any more unit histories, be it in the long form such as JG's 1, 11, 53 and 77 or in the short illustrated form as with JG's 3 and 27. I think that when - and if ! - we will ever be able to complete the current JFV series I will have done my share and let others carry on from where we have ended. There are so many other interesting things to look after that it would be a shame to start repeating myself instead.

However I trust that since there are many competent historians / writers around that someone will tackle the units you are looking for before too long.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 15th April 2008, 14:06

Christian Schulz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Further unit histories á la "Jagdgeschwader 27" - hope for the future?

That's pretty much what I feared. But I can understand your POV. Too bad for me, though.

Trotzdem danke!