Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th October 2008, 13:25
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
The 1944 project coming alive

Dear friends and fellow Luftwaffe researchers!

The time for launching the new website for the 1944 project is rapidly coming closer... and today I have started the process, by going online with the membership application form.

A brief introduction is in place - as most of you know, the files containing the GenQu 6 Abt losses for the period from early January 1944 through most of January 1945 is missing from the archives and nowhere to be found. But other sources remain, the most noteable one being the summary loss lists giving the date an incident occured, and the date it was reported.

Based on this, we have decided to make an online project that will try to recreate these loss lists by gathering information from various other sources.

Please feel free to look up the site on any of the following adresses:

www.the1944project.com
www.the1944project.net
www.the1944project.org

If you are interested in joining the site and add information, please send an introductory e-mail from the site.

Regards, and hope to see you online!

Andreas B
Old 14th October 2008, 15:48
Alter Hase

Re: The 1944 project coming alive

Hi!

Just to add to the info provided:

We are very interested in all kind of sources for this work. Examples would be:

- information from local archives of police establishments in occupied territories
- information from soviet and western allied military sources, for example reports about aircraft they have found crashed, interogation reports of downed airmen etc etc etc etc
- information from for example town archives, or it could be information from the DRK Vermisstenbildliste, prayer cards etc

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 14th October 2008, 19:54
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Are informations about aircraft brought for repairs of any interest?
Old 15th October 2008, 09:44
Alter Hase

Hi, Franek

Yes, they can be if the records contain any kind of detail.

Of course, aircraft transferred for overhaul is not directly linked to losses per se, but any kind of information is of interest in order to see the larger picture.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 15th October 2008, 13:36
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Andreas,

the most noteable one being the summary loss lists giving the date an incident occured, and the date it was reported.

Are these summaries complete ??? How many losses are listed for 1944 ,,??

Remi
Old 15th October 2008, 14:32
Alter Hase

Hi, Remi

The summary loss records are complete to the extent that they list every record that was reported to the GenQu6Abt from the outbreak of Barbarossa 22.6.1941, through January 1945.

Thus in theory (and not taking into account the errors as discussed in another current thread) these are complete for 1944.

As you can imagine the amount of data is immense!! I have started in one end (with all units listed under the Jagd umbrella), these are now complete in the database.

I have also entered several other units, and we are now working on the Schlacht lists.

For the Jagd units, the number of aircraft listed in these lists for the period 01.1944 through 01.1945 are:

15603... averaging about 40 fighters lost and damaged per day

BTW, if anyone is interested this data I have made queries that list aircraft lost on a daily basis from 22.06.1941 through to the last reporting day which is included (31.01.1945).

Please note that there will be a few aircraft not included in the above numbers, namely aircraft reported AFTER 31.01.1945. I have not done analysis on this with regards to numbers, but I have entered all losses from the reports from the records up to 01.04.1945, and there are quite a few in addition to the number mentioned above.

So, to sum up - there are in the vicinity of 16000 losses for this period, for the fighter units alone.

But just join the project Remi, and see for yourself

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 15th October 2008, 20:13
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Brekken View Post
Hi, Franek

Yes, they can be if the records contain any kind of detail.

Of course, aircraft transferred for overhaul is not directly linked to losses per se, but any kind of information is of interest in order to see the larger picture.

Regards,
Andreas B
They provide partial codes and numbers, eg. xx.yy.zzzz, x aircraft delivered with codes mm+!m.
Old 19th October 2008, 22:52
Alter Hase

Hi, all

I have received a lot of e-mails regarding the new site. Thank you all!

I will send you all the login information by e-mail during the next weekend, and thus also in fact then open the site officially.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 20th October 2008, 06:47

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point

As I am involved in other areas of research and have other responsibilities, I can not contribute to this more than commendable effort. However, I applaud this as a way of utelizing the internent to its FULLEST POTENTIA (Collaborative Research) and thus support this and all similar efforts in spirit if not in fact.

Much success in your Sisyphusian effort

Rob Romero
Old 30th October 2008, 12:39
Alter Hase

Hi, guys

Seems this weekend will be the time for slowly starting this site and opening it for users.

Have not yet gotten my high speed access, so you might notice some problems if a lot of people are on at the same time, but this will be corrected as soon as my broadband is switched to a cable based solution.

I will start sending out login information to the users on sunday afternoon/night

Regards,
Andreas B