Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd February 2006, 08:44
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Smile V-1 flying bombs

Hi guys

As some of you may know I am putting the finishing touches to my latest book - Diver! Diver! Diver! - an account of RAF/Commonwealth/USAAF day and night fighter defence against the V-1 flying bomb assault on the UK in 1944. It is due to be published in June of this year (time is rapidly running out!!)

Should anyone have a story/account or something similar they feel should be included relating to fighters shooting down flying bombs, then do please contact me asap. Any contribution that I may be able to use will be acknowledged in the forthcoming book.

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:09

Stein Meum
Re: V-1 flying bombs

I am infrequently in contact with Tarald Weisteen who served on 85 Sqn from 1943 to the end of the war.He shot down the first V-1 to be downed by 85.His final V-1 score was 7.

Stein
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:21
Alter Hase

Hi Stein

Have you any personal accounts of Tarald's operations against the V-1? I do have details of his seven kills but should he have record of the serial numbers of the Mosquitos he flew when making these claims, I would appreciate same. The 85 Squadron ORB listed code letters only - for example, I know that Tarald flew VY-A and VY-B when making his V-1 kills.

I hope that you may be able to help further

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:45

Stein Meum

I have managed to match A/C letters with serials for quite a few of the Mossies he flew at 85 Sqn but not all.The MK.XIX he used for his last V-1 kill on 16th Aug-44 was VY-B (no serial found),all others were obtained flying MM636 VY-A.This serial appears in his logbook in connection with a "green endorsement" re. a single-engine landing during the night of 15/16 June.However,Weisteen has pencilled in the serial MM626 in his logbook.This machine was also on 85 Sqn at the same time as MM636,both transferring to the Swedish Air Force post-war,Swedish researchers have not been able to find what codeletters they wore when serving on 85 Sqn.My guess is as good as yours:Logbook or endorsement? I think I prefer the endorsement.

Stein
Old 22nd February 2006, 14:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

....and don't forget I have quite a lot on 165 Sqn, including all of their Diver kills. Did I send you a listing of all Divers shot down by crews based at Manston?
Old 22nd February 2006, 14:57
Alter Hase

Hi Stein

Thanks for the gen. I note that Erik Fossum flew VY-G when shooting down his three flying bombs. Any idea of the serial? Also of VY-E, VY-F, VY-J, VY-O, VY-P, VY-Q, VY-R, VY-S, VY-W (XVIIs, all of which were involved in V-1 kills)

Hi Chris, I will be getting in touch soon. Thanks (yes, you did send me the Manston details).

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:19

Stein Meum

Fossum's "G" was a Mk. XIX,serial MM648.Mk. XVII VY-C was HK299,"L" was HK347,"R" was HK349.Another Mk. XIX VY-J was TA400.For the other letters I have no serials to tie up with,especially the "B"-Flight machines as no Norwegians were posted to this flight.
I've had access to some 8 or 9 logbooks belonging to Norwegians of 85 Sqn.They served mostly over a long timeperiod,spanning the phase-out/phase-in of the various Mossie versions,i.e. Mk.XII/XIII to XVII,XVII to XIX,XIX to XXX.As the planes were mostly delivered in batches of 3-5 planes at a time,it could possibly be a project to check the various movement card dates versus the first mentioned dates in the ORB.Let's say that the first mention of a new mark VY-A and B ("A"-flight) and VY-L and M ("B"-flight) and we have already identified A and L,there would be a 50% chance of hitting the serials of B and M.
Old 22nd February 2006, 22:21
Alter Hase

Many thanks Stein - at least that's a few more tied up

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd February 2006, 23:30

mhuxt

Book release date? Publisher? Do you take credit cards?

Old 23rd February 2006, 08:07

Mieszko is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm not sure of the date/time/crew off hand, but there is a story of a 307 Sqn Mk30 Mosquito colliding with a V-2 after taking off for a night patrol. The aircraft was destroyed along with the V-2, but the crew survived (baled out).
I'm at work now, but can pass on more info when i get home, if anyone is interested.

Mieszko