Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th December 2007, 21:44
David Layne

Events at Wollendorf

Following up on my earller thread "Please explain this German cartoon" is another extract from my father's Red Cross P.O.W. log.

Can anyone tell me what happened at Wallendorf? I find it strange that this cartoon appears in an R.A.F. Officers log book and wonder if it was not drawn by a guard.
Old 6th December 2007, 22:45

David Ransome
Re: Events at Wollendorf

Hi David,

Have a look on Google for 'Wallendorf burning', go down the first page to 'Siegfried Line Campaign:Chapter 3' then go to page 58. The preceding text will explain what happened and why. - "Although the enemy's Alarmbataillon had only small arms weapons, the troops defended with tenacity. Not until Wallendorf was wreathed in flame and smoke caused by artillery fire, tracer bullets, and infantry flame throwers was the enemy dislodged."

The cartoon is presumably German commenting on the light of democracy or whatever 'lighting' - a play on words.

Regards,

David
Old 6th December 2007, 23:24
David Layne

Thanks David, most informative.
Old 9th December 2007, 02:20

Horst Weber

David !

Since I live very close to the village of Wallendorf at the Luxembourg-German border, I may give you some more information to the cartoon.

During the appraoch of the American troops through France and Luxembourg towards the German border on 11/12th September 1944, Wallendorf was one of the first German villages in sight of the American troops, becoming a rapid and quick bridgehead for for further operations into Germany.

So, all power of the approaching 5th (US) Armoured Division was concentrated to this place, to cross the border-rivers of Sauer and Our and form a quick bridgehead on German soil. The briddgehead was expended in the next days and Wallendorf was in the hand of American troops on September 14th, 1944. From here, a little approach was started in direction Bitburg, which then finally failed due to German counter-attacks. On September 22nd, this bridgehead had been cleared by German forces.

This was the first Allied attack to German soil with a massive engagement of heavy weapons and all the warfare-instruments of quick approachng troops. Since the whole approach was so quick, there was in this stage of operations no time, to evacuate the civilin population out of the battle-zone, like it happened a few days later at the whole western-front area.

Those events around 12th September 1944 made Wallendorf to a myth for German propaganda to blame the Americans slaughter German civilians.

If not have fled due to the very quick approachng front-line, most of the Wallendorf civilians were in there basements and their cellars and let the war-events stream over their heads. I do not know, how many civilians of Wallendorf were killed by war-events during those days, but it doesn't seem many.

This leaflet is a pure propaganda thing which was born in the fact, that allied troops suddenly and inexpected came to the first German soil, which was in the German propaganda impossible.

Though, at least, the behaviour of those occupants must be horrible.

All the best,

Horst Weber
Old 9th December 2007, 10:32

David Ransome

Hi,

On looking again at the illustration you'll notice that Volkischer had initially been spelt incorrectly, with the c being inserted separately. How does the writing compare to that in the remainder of the 'log'? I wonder if the cartoon wasn't copied from the Volkischer Beobachter from the date shown and the typewritten paste-in was added possibly post-war.

Regards,

David
Old 9th December 2007, 15:24
David Layne

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ransome View Post
Hi,

On looking again at the illustration you'll notice that Volkischer had initially been spelt incorrectly, with the c being inserted separately. How does the writing compare to that in the remainder of the 'log'? I wonder if the cartoon wasn't copied from the Volkischer Beobachter from the date shown and the typewritten paste-in was added possibly post-war.

Regards,

David
I had not noticed the spelling correction, well done! That makes me think it must have been drawn by a Kregie.

There is no way to compare the writing with other entries in the log. The Red Cross "Wartime Log" that the prisoners received were passed around amongst the prisoners, each adding his own contribution.

That is a good thought that the cartoon was copied from the Volkischer Beobachter. I am not sure if prisoners had access to German newspapers.

I had always presumed that the clipping came from a camp newsheet as I know newsheets were posted in the camps as evidenced by the attachments.

At the time of the drawing (17 October 1944) my father was in Fallingbostel.
Old 10th December 2007, 18:44

fisher972002 is on a distinguished road

All,
You guys are exactly correct with the dates..
My Grandfather took part in this "Piercing of the Sigfried line" as he calls it. It happened at Wallendorf. He was in the 5th Armored Division, 85th Reconnaissance Squad Mech Company D. They had an M8 ARmored 6 wheel Truck, a few supply trucks, later a light tank and a group of 24 men. Of the original 24 that started only 4 survived including my Grandfather. You guys are correct on the Dates,, he wrote an account of his trek across Europe and He says on Sept 14th, they crossed 2 miles into Germany for 3 days, approximately 3 miles he writes I think, I'd have to check.. then were repulsed. This was after the liberation of Paris. He writes at this time there was lots of exuberance among the troops, the feeling was after racing across France and closing the Falaise Gap the war might be over by X-mas he wrote.
THey were in Luxembourg at the short Time.. Then in early Oct, they drove North to join the 9th army I think, then that winter they found themselves in the Battle of the Bulge North arm..

In this area my Grandfather has his lieutenant's head shot off. The lieutenant had a bad habit of riding with his head out the car and they would target the Lieutenant hats...he had to clean up the mess..
Later, the Gun on the M8 jammed because the operator didn't empty the shell bag on the side of the gun, the gunner was his first action.. It jammed so they had to pull over and the M8 behind them. About 100 Meters later the M8 that took his place was hit by a German 88. and the M8 basically disappeared, there was nothing but a few rims and metal left of it..