Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th February 2018, 15:45

Gymning is on a distinguished road
German Luftwaffe Groundcrew

It seems that the topic about the Luftwaffe ground crews is a subject hard to find. Even though i have got several findings regarding ground crew, its a subject hidden.
I am looking for information regarding units and personnel strength at airbases of small and medium sizes. Even i found several good books it's hard to get a grip.
Does anyone have any information regarding this topic?
Old 8th February 2018, 16:23
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: German Luftwaffe Groundcrew

Like Allied ground crew, the subject is not 'sexy' compared to aircraft and aircrew. When you think how many there were to support and aircraft or unit, you thought that there would be a lot more interest. For example today I was asked for a photo of ground crew working on an engine and apart from official photos, such photos are rare
Old 8th February 2018, 16:31

Gymning is on a distinguished road
Well, for the American I have found tons of information regarding their structure and sorry to say, while finding tons of photos, it seems hard to get information deeper in the German structure.

I agree. Still, it a bit strange because I have found plenty of information regarding American structure and through my favorite publisher, Osprey have i found extremely much information regarding Geschwader, Gruppe and Staffel, but not anything regarding the airfield structure their self more than some briefly.
Old 8th February 2018, 18:48
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I have seen such photos, which include aircraft repair, bomb loading and similar but information is scarce since the subject is not exciting. It can also include photos of engine warming equipment, but once you've seen a few, it becomes a bit redundant.

A recently released video showing ground crew in action, plus some nice aircraft footage:

http://www.flightjournal.com/rare-ww...t-ground-crew/

Ed
Old 8th February 2018, 19:02
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

There is a book about female blackman wich is worth looking for. To find out more about operational duties i suggest the manuals about aircraft operations. There is even a usaaf manual about this subject although i am not sure it goes as deep as the tasks of the blackmen
Old 8th February 2018, 19:32
Alter Hase

I have found a book:

Schlachtfeld Luftfahrzeug: Der Einsatz der schwarzen Männer im II. Weltkrieg by Harald Vogt

It seems to be available only on the secondary market for around 30 Euros. It was published in 1994.

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 8th February 2018, 20:05
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hello Gymning,

As the others here have said, you won't find much about the Luftwaffe here aside from aircraft, aircrew, parts recovered from long lost or buried wrecks and that which is directly related. For the past 18 years, I have tried to get just a few of these gentlemen interested in the Luftwaffen-Bodenorganisation, Flakartillerie and the Luftnachrichtentruppe, but to no avail. I am a miserable failure, I guess.

If you will go to the link below, you will find what you are looking for, at least what a wartime Luftwaffe airfield might look like in terms of the ground staffing, air units present at a given time, representative airfield strength returns, etc. How is your German? You will have a tough time with this material unless you use the Glossary (see the Introduction) and are already familiar with the unit abbreviations and the Luftwaffe-related acronyms in general. This material loses all relevance and import if translated into another language.

Anyway, this is about all you will find. I have not finished Russia and the Baltic States yet and I already have roughly 15 years and 30,000 hours invested in this project, including the years I spent in archives doing research. To study this subject on your own, you will need the language skills, lots and lots of time and lots and lots of money so you can travel to the Bundesarchiv-Militaerarchiv in Freiburg, The British National Archive in London, the U.S. National Archives in Washington and the Air Force Historical Research Agency in Montgomery/Alabama, although some of the primary material held at these repositories has recently been made available on-line. Good luck and best wishes.

http://www.ww2.dk/lwairfields.html

Larry deZeng
Old 8th February 2018, 20:36
Alter Hase

Hello Larry,

Considering the time and effort you've put in, I commend you for your work.

Regards,
Ed
Old 8th February 2018, 23:02
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
I am a miserable failure, I guess.
Go to you're room and wash your mouth with soap.

No mister deZeng your labour is not in vain.
Yes some interested in Luftwaffe operations and airfields has taken note of your work
Yes they should and they will. For long, long, long times
You are the one that people speak of when they say "standing on the shoulders off".
Yes Giants...
As a pure amateur i spent some time on researching. Anybody who has done so will know how hard and difficult it can get to get close to the level you seem to do so easily.
Old 9th February 2018, 01:49
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

To provide more information, there was an article in one of the American magazines that was the memoir of a Luftwaffe mechanic who served from 1937-1944. Also, in on the old LW Verband series, there was a story of a JG-2 mechanic who served throughout WWII.