Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th October 2009, 22:58

BC
Mystery aerial

Hi all:

Hopefully some of you radar/radio equipment buffs can i.d. the aerial in the attached pic. It was found recently at a dig on a former USAAF WW 2 dump site in South Norfolk.

At first I thought it was German night-fighter radar, but the 'prongs' are similar to those found on the British "Rebecca" beam-approach aerial. There were originally six 'prongs' on the device, but unfortunately two were broken off.

I now think it looks similar to some of the aerials fitted to 100 (RAF) Group aircraft.

TIA for any help from TOCH forumites.

BC
Old 17th October 2009, 00:08

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: Mystery aerial

It looks like it used to be a 3 element yagi, a directional antenna, for about 150 megahertz, with the reflector to the right. The large spacing between the driven element and the director, to the left, would have created a large oval pattern, yet still directional.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:51

BC

Thanks Dan. Can you state in simple English what it would be used for ? Is it a beam approach system or a search radar ?

BC
Old 18th October 2009, 21:56

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

It could have been used for either purpose. The entire pupose of an antenna of that style is directivity and gain, i.e. signal enhancement.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:36

BC

Thanks Dan. Perhaps someone in the 100 (RAF) Group fraternity will be able to ID it for me.

BC