Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Games and Simulations

Games and Simulations Please use this forum to review or discuss games and simulations.

Old 1st April 2005, 17:57

Andy Fletcher
12 O'clock High - Bombing the Reich

12 O'clock High - Bombing the Reich (BTR)

This is a strategic simulation of the combined bombing offensive against Germany. The game was originally released by Talonsoft although they didn't offer any support for the game.

For the last few years the game has been supported by an individual called Jean Claude Larusso (JC) who intermittently releases new patches and OoB updates. Check this link.

http://p081.ezboard.com/bbtrbombingthereich

Thanks to his efforts the game differs greatly from the original. In my opinion BTR (with all of JC's add ons) is the most detailed and accurate strategy game covering the combined bombing offensive. Beware though for the game is only for the dedicated, a 1943 campaign can last for 700 turns (each turn = 1 day). The artificial intelligence (AI) in the game leaves something the be desired so when you are up to speed a competent player should be able to beat the computer, but it still takes time. I prefer play by e-mail games versus a human opponent, much more challenging. I normally play as the Axis as I get to react to the enemy and produce and develope the aircraft I like. As the Allies you can plan and plot every raid you wish to launch, including recce. Infact forget trying to accurately bomb a target without up to date recce photos.

I could go on, the game covers all manner of aspects of the airwar over Europe.

As the game is old you can pick up the basic version quite cheaply, but to get the patches and OoB updates you need to check out the link above.

Regards

Andy Fletcher

Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 1st April 2005 at 17:59.
Old 29th January 2011, 06:00

popsaka is on a distinguished road
Re: 12 O'clock High - Bombing the Reich

I'm afraid that link went 'bye-bye'
Old 19th June 2011, 21:28

Felix C is on a distinguished road

Now offered by Matrix games with many updates.

HPS Simulations also offers Defending the Reich. Bomber Command 1943-1944 campaign done with spread sheets. I prefer DtR.

Last edited by Felix C; 20th June 2011 at 20:41.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:33

General Savage is on a distinguished road

Wish it was a flight simulator game. I'd be first in to buy it.
I've got the Saitek X52 two piece flight control system but the last game I played it on was IL2 Complete addition. It was a great game but getting a bit old now for modern graphics.
In fact I just upgraded this week to a Radeon HD 6850. It probably doesn't even play it.
I could do with a new flight sim game.