Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd September 2020, 00:42
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
USAAF Fiat CR.42

Hello,

Currently on ebay are three photos of a Fiat CR.42 wearing US markings at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Photo-...UAAOSwCU9fai-h

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Photo-...wAAOSwZfNfai~v

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Photo-...MAAOSw-qlfajAl

I don't recall previously seeing a CR.42 so marked and hopefully this machine is not already well known. Can anyone say which US unit captured the aircraft?

Regards,

Clint
Old 23rd September 2020, 03:18
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: USAAF Fiat CR.42

Looks like a "new" series of photos .
Several captured Cr42 , SAAF squadrons had a couple as did the RAF in North Africa so why not the USAAF, maybe these were taken in Italy after capitulation ?

Nothing in "War Prizes" about this a/c and no pictures in the "Album" either.

Alex
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:24
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Nice find Clint

Never seen or heard of a USAAF CR.42 before.
Clearly the same aircraft which for some reason they want to get onboard the truck in question.

Since I can't see any particular intelligence use of the aircraft, perhaps it was another try from some unit to get an aircraft to have some fun with?
Seems to me like the US forces just loved to put their "stamp" on anything they could lay their hands on

There are other aircraft captured by the US during the war which never made it into any official documents. Most probably left to rot when they departed.

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:21
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. Upon reflection,I agree with you Alex, that the photo is more likely taken in Italy than North Africa.Stig, yes I would agree that the aircraft was most likely used as a hack and I'd still love to know which US unit flew the aircraft - oh for more information from the seller .

Regards,

Clint