Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st November 2015, 00:58

Tony Kearns
Re: Oberfeldwebel Guenter Koch

Thanks you Brian, the article by Ken Wakefield covered this incident briefly and we subsequently were in contact in connection with this and other incidents. We came to the conclusion that the aircraft crashed in the area of the entrance to the George's Channel /Western Approaches. This would account for the landing of the remains of Gunther Koch on the Cork Coast due to sea drift. It would I understand, from maritime experts, to be unlikely that it occurred in the Irish Sea for the same reason, ie sea drifts, the opinion being that bodies from Irish Sea incidents tended to land on the Welsh, English or Scottish West Coasts and or Irish East Coast.

Regards
Tony K
Old 21st November 2015, 01:19

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi,

From the British 'Y' Service report for the day of 15 March 1941, regarding four aircraft of 3./K.G. 27:

"'O' sent weather for 50 miles N'Wly Brest at 14:35 and 50 minutes later when 30 miles north-west of Lands End he turned eastward into southern approaches to Bristol Channel. At 15:55 gave weather for Hartland Point and at 16:35 was flying on one engine. The aircraft was unable to give its position and 'N' (probably accompanying) gave position approximately 40 miles north of Lands End, where 'O' had come down into the sea and crew were in their collapsible boat. 'N' remained in vicinity and sent an 'SOS' which brought 'M' and 'F' out from the base, to assist, reaching the position at 19:30. 'M' and 'N' were instructed to drop their boats. 'M', 'N' and 'F' presumably landed Brest at 21:00."

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 21st November 2015, 03:10

schnellmeyer is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brian for the update . Andrew , excellent account of events , this gives a good account of what appears to have happened to the He 111 and the crew . As it appears the crew survived the crash landing and got into their life raft it is strange that the rest of their bodies were not recovered as they probably were still wearing their life jackets .
Regards
Justin
Old 21st November 2015, 23:51

Tony Kearns

Thanks for that Andrew, it would appear that the location was in the area south west of Lundy. "Y" Service reports are always interesting and informative.
Regards
Tony K
Old 10th October 2020, 21:50

CornwallPhil is on a distinguished road

I have a local history report for Saturday 15th March 1941 in Cornwall which states: "A German plane was shot down during the morning 2 miles off Dodman Point. Lieut. Byrne, the Home Guard Commander, who lived at Red Rock, Gorran Haven, told a reporter: “My house is on the cliff. Looking seawards, I saw a couple of planes, one behind the other. They were moving fast. Then I heard a sudden burst of machine gun fire. There was a brilliant flash in the air. The mass of flame wobbled a bit & then plunged into the sea. The other plane circled round a few times & then made off. The whole incident lasted only a few seconds. It was seen by few people beyond the coast watchers.” One of the crew had been seen clinging desperately to the wreckage but by the time the rescue boat had made the passage all trace of him had vanished.

Is it possible this could be the above plane? In my searches to try and find a German loss on the day in question Hoslin's aircraft has been the only I could find. I have yet to identify a squadron for the British plane so have been unable to pinpoint any claim in an ORB. Just a thought. What do you guys think?
Old 11th October 2020, 13:33
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

There were no RAF claims this day in this area from what I can see and in any case, the Y Report would seem to indicate engine problems