Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th August 2009, 19:26

david.owens7@virgin.net is on a distinguished road
107 Sqn RAF

I am trying to peice together the exploits of my Wifes Grandad.
He served in 107 SQN and flew Boston IIIA.
I am trying to get info about a articular raid on 15th May 1943 made by 12 Boston on the air field at poix in france. I have obtained a combat report in which he is awarded a "kill" against ann ME109. his kite was shot up by flak an then me 109's and crash landed in Kent.

Can any one provide a copy of the ORB or other documents relating to this mission. I have also established that another F/Sgt on another kite got a DFM for his action in the raid.

Any info or guidance would be most welcome.
will put his photos on and the combat report when Ifigure out how to.

Last edited by david.owens7@virgin.net; 13th August 2009 at 13:26. Reason: correction
Old 12th August 2009, 20:38

jstynes
Re: 107 Sqn RAF

Is this the one ??

Boston IIIA BZ260 15th May 1943 Op. Poix

Took of Great Massingham. On return, crash landed by West Malling airfield.Kent. Sgt Skipp baled out; his three companions remained with the Boston and all were taken to Orpington hospital.

Crew:-
Sgt W C Truxler - inj
Sgt D D H Skipp
Sgt S E Millbank - inj
Sgt A S Brady - inj

Source: Chorley BC Losses
Old 12th August 2009, 20:48

thats the one
fantasic,

Can you advise what document you got this from I established it was BZ260 from j baugher/1942 website of serial numbers, how will i find out what actual marking was on this kite?, I have a photo of the crew and ground crew in front of L for london at Hartford bridge sept 1943 when with no 2 TAF

Sgt Millbank went to hospital and whilst there his mate who was a pilot with was killed when as I understand a French (poss 342 Sqn) kite landed on top of him on an airfield do you have any info on this or how can i put some meat on the bones so to speak.

many many thanks

Last edited by david.owens7@virgin.net; 13th August 2009 at 01:40. Reason: spelling and more info
Old 12th August 2009, 20:54

The only info I have of his oppos is thieir first names,

One was Art (arthur) he was an USAF pilot serving in the RAF ( confirmed by his uniform complete with lapel tape) and the other was Don.

It could be that two of these chaps were on the kite with Sidney Millbank mentioned in the earlier reply.
D D Skip possibly Don
and
A S Brady possilbly Art

How can i find out?

thanks

Last edited by david.owens7@virgin.net; 13th August 2009 at 01:41. Reason: more info
Old 13th August 2009, 12:52

Photo of air crew and one of the ground crew.

hand written on reverse of top photo is "the gun kite with the good gremlin"
hartford bridge sept 1943 no2 taf
on reverse of bottom photo is the gun crew & kite L for london with her the best ground crew in th raf
samr date and location as the top photo
Old 13th August 2009, 13:20

Photos of the us pilot in the raf , at this point he had been promoted from f/sgt his name was Art, possibly short for Arthur, notce the lapel flash with U S ....... That was dated Nov 1943 and is beleived to have been killed

the second photo is of all three crew Don, Sid, and Art at that point they were Sgt's. Date un known and surnames not know other than Sid's (S E Millbank)
Old 13th August 2009, 16:47

jstynes

David

Sorry I have no more info. What I gave you was from W R Chorley's " Bomber Command Losses" for 1943.
The only point I missed out (as I thought it was irrelevant to you) is that this was the last Boston written off by 107 prior to them transferring to 2nd Tactical Air Force.

Some body may have the ORB on this forum but if not try asking on the RAF Commands Forum as well. Good luck

John

Sqn code was OM - Chorley does not state the individual A/C number in this case.

Last edited by jstynes; 13th August 2009 at 16:51. Reason: Added Sqn Code
Old 16th August 2009, 00:35

Follow up info re the BZ387 crash site and email correspondence with a person who is also trying to find out the same info. at the school where it all ended for these young men.

This is the response to one line of enquiry, whats most pleasing is that the crash site are actually looking into commemorating the site and are trying to get info to assist that.

I think that is a fitting tribute to the sad loss that all the families of the crew suffered and a mark of respect for their sacrifice.

Here it is ...

Sent: 14 August 2009
To: David
Subject: RE: Raf Bomber Crash 06/01/44

Where do you live because I would welcome you to Eagle House to visit the place of the crash and discuss the whole incident and the proposed memorial. It would be wonderful if I can get one or two of my members who were at school during the 1940s to also meet you. We do serve a very good lunch for visitors!!

The information given is very helpful – thank you. Sadly you did not quote the website you mentioned in the text.

Douglas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 14 August 2009 20:43
To: 'Douglas'

Douglas,

That is unbelievable!!!

I have been trying to find out about what happened for around 4 years, when out of the blue earlier this week I decided to have another look at it having drawn a blank previously.

I have all the info you request along with photos of two of the crew who perished that day, two of whom were very close friends of my wife’s grandfather. Sidney Millbank. I will email photos of them together along with pictures of the crew in front of what is believed to be the aircraft concerned in Sept 1943.

Sidney was not flying with his usual crew that day and I do not known for sure why however I have got a rip cord and family seem to remember that he had to bail out at some time and was injured..again and possibly in hospital.

Details of the aircraft and crew are as follows. The crew that crashed at the school was as follows

Boston IIIA BZ387 OM-L From 107 Sqn Raf

Lt ARTHUR G. TRUXLER (U.S.A.A.F.) Pilot (Art in photo and individual photo)

Pilot Officer DONALD H SKIPP Bomb aimer ( Don in photo)

Pilot Officer ALBERT JOHN NAISBIT air gunner

Pilot Officer BRIAN ALPHONSUS McCONNELL D F M (RAAF) air gunner

Returning from a bombing raid in Northern France when it would appear that on approach to RAF Hartford Bridge one of the engines failed, having being involved in heavy and accurate flak over the target area. From my initial findings it would appear the aircraft was attempting to land when this happened and veered over and into a steep dive and then crashed killing all the crew.

I have obtained this info from the following website and recommend that you take a look at it there is more info on this incident than I have included above which is just a quick overview.

I am really pleased that your school are looking to place a memorial at the site that really would be fantastic.

I look forward to more communication on this matter.

Regards
David
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 14 August 2009 19:54
To: 'David'

David

I cannot believe I have received this email from you because I am in the throes of investigating who the crew were so we could honour them in the school grounds. I have only recently written to the RAF for further information. Here is the reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail of 28th July 2009, concerning a fully-laden and damaged British aircraft, which crashed during early 1944 in the grounds of Eagle School House, Berkshire, whilst returning to Blackbushe aerodrome from a bombing mission in Europe.

Unfortunately, I regret to say that original, surviving, wartime casualty information on RAF aircraft and crew losses, in our archive here at the Air Historical Branch, is not retained on computer, or by geographical location, but is filed by aircraft type/Serial Number, exact date of incident, and name of personnel involved. Therefore, should you be able to provide us with any of these type of details, then we will attempt to supply you with further details on the incident in question.

I am sorry that, on this occasion, we have been unable to provide you with the information you require.

Yours sincerely

Alan Thomas

Air Historical Branch 3 (RAF) 1”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the spot where the crash happened but at the moment I do not have any photographs. Several of my members remember the occasion although they were on school holidays at the time. Any more details from you including the names of the personnel would be much appreciated.

Douglas

Chairman – Old Eagle House Society

Sent: 14 August 2009 16:58
To: douglas
Subject: Raf Bomber Crash 06/01/44

Dear Sir,

I am investigating the Boston Bomber crash that happened on 6th Jan 1944, I have noticed a reference to it on your home page.

The reason for my research is that two members of the crew were very good friends with my wife’s grand-father and should have been of that aircraft that day, however he was not and survived the war.

I would be grateful if you had any photos of the crash site in the school archives and any other info such as casualties and damage.

I thank you in advance.

David
Old 11th October 2009, 18:04

jcowie is on a distinguished road

Pilot Officer 170013 Albert John Naisbit is buried in Stainton Churchyard in South Yorkshire - I am sure there is a good reason why he is buried so far from his hometown of Hampstead in London.

I am researching the names on the War Memorials of Tickhill, Hesley and the villages in between - hence my interest in 107 Squadron.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:08

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road

At Air2/8955 there is a detailed recomendation for the DFM for Albert Kindell - has a very good description of the action.

regards

Iain