Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2020, 17:55

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Re: French fighter scores, mainly 1939-1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Please don't use the word jingoistic in your book should you live to write it.
Hello Ed. At first I wanted to send you a private message (PM) but I changed my mind for I need an explanation because English is not my mother tongue and many TOCH members or visitors (a vast majority it seems) are in the same situation. I know I'll never have a perfect command of English equal to British or American people's.

So: why should I not use the word "jingoistic" in a book or elsewhere? Is it so serious an insult? I don't believe so. I had a close look at several dictionaries including a purely English one (no German or French translations given). There are jingoists in virtually all countries all over the world, especially in France, Germany, England, the USA and (almost?) all other countries. Often they mention "chauvinist" as an equivalent.

You seem to find this word offensive but why? Obviously it's not a compliment, it is clearly negative. Shall I write a book containing only compliments to everybody? Everybody is nice, clever, friendly, perfect. This is hardly possible for in France only I am acutely aware of a dozen "historians", some of them holding very prestigious titles or posts, who simply are phoneys, publish nonsense, copy long extracts from other people's books without telling so, and often libel, even insult, other authors (mainly because the latter are all too serious, can you follow me?).

In a nutshell: why not "jingoistic"?
Old 7th March 2020, 21:53

canonne is on a distinguished road
Re: French fighter scores, mainly 1939-1940

There are no words. The communists started to fight Hitler’s Nazi Germany first after Germany had attacked the USSR on June 22, 1941, and they did so because Moscow had given them the order. In France after WW II they screamed everywhere, and they are till doing so, that they are “Le parti des fusillés” – to make it short, the party of the Résistance fighters. Ha ha ha. They fought for Russia [you mean USSR ?] not for France.

Wrong … absolutly wrong. Long time ago French historians studied the fighting of the communists before … far before … June 1941. Long time before the order of Staline. The large differences between “la base” underground communists units … and their (?) political headquarters. Sabotages were also in the opposite side.
Interesting political point of view but not historical one. My uncle was one of them : Front populaire in 1936… FTPF (Cie Chevrin). Bourges area. Black history for red sabotages !
About your “ah ah ah “ …
Awfull to say they fought for Ussr than for France. Again “un Historien ( ?) qui a obtenu son diplôme dans un paquet de Bonux”?
Please do not insult these guys. I was with he only one survivor in last August commemoration. With French authorities (administrative and militaries). SO what ? Poutine was not there ! Do not be upset of that !!!
He and his comrads saved First Lieut Albert Debacker (355th FG) in August 1944 !
Marmage (Cher) on 22 August 1944 : they were 7 to attack a German train : 5 were killed. For Staline ? ….. Do not insult them please. First time I ask to the moderator of a website to do something.
I teach History and Geography. Never a pupils of mine could say such fake news. Never

“ah ah ah” is not an historical method Monsieur !

Philippe Canonne.
Closed Thread